Explain this please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like depriving a primer that has been shot, but go easy and slower.

Have done lots of them, never had 1 go off.
Yep, what he said. Put on your safety spectacles if it makes you feel better.

Just deprime as you usually do it, but make a slow even stroke. Catch the primers and reuse as normal.

I've done many, many of these. Just take it easy. At 10¢ each, it's definitely worth the effort. Hell, I was doing it a 2¢ each.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got 53 almost free trigger pulls to do.
If you mean you're going to stick them in a revolver and pull the trigger to set off the primer, I wouldn't recommend that. Without the full powder charge to push the case back against the breech face, the primers will back out and jam the revolver.

At least that's what they did to my P&R Model 29.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
If you mean you're going to stick them in a revolver and pull the trigger to set off the primer, I wouldn't recommend that. Without the full powder charge to push the case back against the breech face, the primers will back out and jam the revolver.

I’m loading them with my recipe.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I did that one day back in the 1980’s, with some .38 spl. , resized, primed cases. Had never dropped the hammer on a live primer only, no powder, no bullet. How surprised I was at the report, sounded like a live round went off. Ignorant young man (me), had stuck his S&W model 19 out the sliding patio door of his apartment, pointed the barrel up into the sky, like Hiawatha and his arrow. Freaked me out, thought sure the police would be there in a couple of minutes to ream me out. Cylinder was stuck, my first experience with a backed out primer. Was trying to open it, swab out the cylinders charge holes, barrel, have a pristine, clean bore, as in no evidence, ”what bang, officer? Didn’t hear a thing”. Finally cushioned the cylinder’s left side, reached a thumb under it to the cylinder latch release, struck the right side with a plastic mallet, got it open, no apparent damage. No police response ever emerged. All other apartment dwellers too occupied with tv, music jams, whatever. Must have sounded way louder to me, than anyone else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom