EYE IN THE SKY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of pilots in General Aviation use all kinds of devices including portable GPS in their cockpits. The devices Cannot be Permanently Installed on the aircraft.
[Thus the C-Clamp]

I always preferred the boards, etc., that you strapped to your thigh. I found them the most convenient.

Back toward the end of when I was flying, LORAN became the latest and greatest. I imagine GPS is a quantum leap over LORAN like VOR was a quantum leap over 'A' 'N' navigation.

Woody

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always pondered how many tickets needed to be written per hour to justify the fuel and maintenance expense of using an airplane for speed checks.

I'm guessing the cost including pilot salary - insurance- maintenance - fuel to operate a Cessna 182 is about $300 / HR.
A turbine powered AG plane that has 500 gallon payload cost about $1100 / HR to operate when all cost are averaged out in Per Hour.

Here are some rental cost in which the owner would factor out all the cost in the Price.

http://www.tandgflying.com/rental-rates.html

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always preferred the boards, etc., that you strapped to your thigh. I found them the most convenient.

Back toward the end of when I was flying, LORAN became the latest and greatest. I imagine GPS is a quantum leap over LORAN like VOR was a quantum leap over 'A' 'N' navigation.

Woody

GPS hasn't quite lived up to the magic pill it was advertised to be. The FAA has had to implement GPS augmentation measures to improve the accuracy of GPS for use in aviation navigation and landing (WAAS, CORS, etc...).

There is even talk of bringing LORAN back as a backup to GPS. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ke-global-return-as-gps-backup-because-cyber/

...and when all that fails, we are keeping a healthy network of VORs online for use (I help maintain 8 of them right here in Oklahoma).

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GPS hasn't quite lived up to the magic pill it was advertised to be. The FAA has had to implement GPS augmentation measures to improve the accuracy of GPS for use in aviation navigation and landing (WAAS, CORS, etc...).

There is even talk of bringing LORAN back as a backup to GPS. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ke-global-return-as-gps-backup-because-cyber/

...and when all that fails, we are keeping a healthy network of VORs online for use (I help maintain 8 of them right here in Oklahoma).

Ardmore VOR -when navigating from Dallas

Don't forget ADF [although AM Radio Stations are reducing in number]

There's always IFR on a clear day: I Follow Roads -Rivers - and Railroads because they lead to a town that has an airport. LOL!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that there is a cheatin!

I knew a guy who got stopped who told me he told the trooper it was a hearsay ticket because the ground trooper didn't clock him, the airplane trooper did. He demanded the airplane trooper land and write the cite. Now that's funny!

Latest posts

Top Bottom