F-250 diesel trucks, ...I need schooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ab
Would you buy this setup again? Is there anything you would do differently? Thank you.
I would absolutely do this again. Pulling 16K lbs across 10 states this year with one more to go, 24,000 some miles towing with very long and high altitude grades have convinced me that a diesel is not required. (Some of those miles on the truck were not when towing to correct myself)
If I were pulling a three axle toy hauler with a 20,000 lb weight, I'd have to rethink my decision and go with the diesel.
I would definitely go with the 4:30 gears and the 10 speed tranny that I think is standard now in diesel and gasser.
My cousin bought the same truck with the 3:55 gears thinking he was going to get better mileage only to find out that he gets the same mileage as our truck while having a significantly lower towing capacity.
The only thing I would do differently is I would have bought an F-350. I did have to add air bags to the F-250 so the rear suspension could maintain a level bed.
When not towing, I reduce the air pressure in the 10 ply tires to 30 psi for ride comfort. It's not an F-150 comfort ride but much softer than retaining the 80 psi tire pressure.

Last edited:

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its a little late to the show, but I've found that if yo buy a bunch say 20 of jalapeno's mix them in a blender with some water ad that to a 5 gal bucket with some dish detergent ( so it stays thicker than water and will not just drip off before it dries) and put it into a bug sprayer and spray the eng compartment and (when cold) it keeps rodents from chewing and nesting. Learned that from an old farmer, has worked for me for years. You have to reapply it after each storage event.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You
Ab

I would absolutely do this again. Pulling 16K lbs across 10 states this year with one more to go, 24,000 some miles towing with very long and high altitude grades have convinced me that a diesel is not required. (Some of those miles on the truck were not when towing to correct myself)
If I were pulling a three axle toy hauler with a 20,000 lb weight, I'd have to rethink my decision and go with the diesel.
I would definitely go with the 4:30 gears and the 10 speed tranny that I think is standard now in diesel and gasser.
My cousin bought the same truck with the 3:55 gears thinking he was going to get better mileage only to find out that he gets the same mileage as our truck while having a significantly lower towing capacity.
The only thing I would do differently is I would have bought an F-350. I did have to add air bags to the F-250 so the rear suspension could maintain a level bed.
When not towing, I reduce the air pressure in the 10 ply tires to 30 psi for ride comfort. It's not an F-150 comfort ride but much softer than retaining the 80 psi tire pressure.
You've never had tire problems running a 10 ply at 30psi? I would think it wouldn't drive good or you would get a lot of feathering on the front tires running them that low. I run at least 60psi in mine all the time, I don't ever get them above 70psi when I'm pulling my trailers or have my welding machine and skid loaded on the bed. Mine is drw also.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Where were you last winter, when it got down to eleven below zero here in Marshall County (just north of Lake Texoma)... :shocked:

View attachment 226961
It was ten years prior to this day that we reached the all time cold temps in 2011. That was the morning that my starter on my 6.0l went out lol. Waited for it to warm up to -5 before I changed it out though lol.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late to the party but my dream choice for towing is an 08 F550 with a built 5.9 12v Cummins backed by a ZF6 manual. And a buckstop SRW conversion while I’m at it.

Realistically if you’re trying to get down to one stock vehicle that can be used for daily commuting and a little work and towing, I’d suggest an 05-07 F350 V10 (5R100 trans is a big upgrade over the 4R) or go to a Chevrolet with the 6.0 LS, backed by a 4L85 (80 is fine but 85 is an improvement). Chevy aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful, the V10 is somewhere in between LS & diesel prices. DO NOT buy a 5.4 Triton. Chevy’s 4x4 of those years has some issues but they’re something you can deal with, same goes for the rust problem. You’ll pay dearly for 5.9 Dodge Cummins, but there’s a reason, that is the best Diesel engine EVER produced for a light/med duty application. But remember, you’re buying all the other issues that are well documented with that era MOPAR. A 3rd Gen 5.9 24v common rail is a much better truck than the 2nd Gen 24v with the nightmare VP44 and its junk body and interior. If you go with a 12v, stay 97 or 98 (1st half of the year is 12v, second half is 24v).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You

You've never had tire problems running a 10 ply at 30psi? I would think it wouldn't drive good or you would get a lot of feathering on the front tires running them that low. I run at least 60psi in mine all the time, I don't ever get them above 70psi when I'm pulling my trailers or have my welding machine and skid loaded on the bed. Mine is drw also.
Not experienced any issues. We just finished a week trip to Hollister Missouri pulling a boat to fish Lake Tanneycomo without any issues or handling problems.
Not showing any wear issues either. I thought there might be some issues, so have been keeping a close eye on the tread wear and any wear patterns.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go with the 6.7 deleted, as mentioned above after 2011 they have been good. I drive a 2013 6.7 everyday and do all the maintenance, all very easy. Get 16 mpg if it didn't have 35 inch tires I would guess it would be 18+.

20210119_151544.jpg

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late to the party but my dream choice for towing is an 08 F550 with a built 5.9 12v Cummins backed by a ZF6 manual. And a buckstop SRW conversion while I’m at it.

Realistically if you’re trying to get down to one stock vehicle that can be used for daily commuting and a little work and towing, I’d suggest an 05-07 F350 V10 (5R100 trans is a big upgrade over the 4R) or go to a Chevrolet with the 6.0 LS, backed by a 4L85 (80 is fine but 85 is an improvement). Chevy aftermarket parts are cheap and plentiful, the V10 is somewhere in between LS & diesel prices. DO NOT buy a 5.4 Triton. Chevy’s 4x4 of those years has some issues but they’re something you can deal with, same goes for the rust problem. You’ll pay dearly for 5.9 Dodge Cummins, but there’s a reason, that is the best Diesel engine EVER produced for a light/med duty application. But remember, you’re buying all the other issues that are well documented with that era MOPAR. A 3rd Gen 5.9 24v common rail is a much better truck than the 2nd Gen 24v with the nightmare VP44 and its junk body and interior. If you go with a 12v, stay 97 or 98 (1st half of the year is 12v, second half is 24v).
I have a friend who's specialty is rebuilding diesel engines and has said many times that of all the pick up class of diesels, the Dodge Cummins has the worst reliability. I don't want to start a war here, it's just what I've heard from a professional, he also stated to stay away from the Ford 6.0"s but there was an after market fix for them if you wanted them to last beyond 100K

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a friend who's specialty is rebuilding diesel engines and has said many times that of all the pick up class of diesels, the Dodge Cummins has the worst reliability. I don't want to start a war here, it's just what I've heard from a professional, he also stated to stay away from the Ford 6.0"s but there was an after market fix for them if you wanted them to last beyond 100K

Thousands and thousands of stock 6.0l lasted beyond 200k and 300k. No mechanic should tell you to stay away from any unreliable vehicle, that's how they make their money! :)

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you want to save some money on purchase? then go with a ford 6.2 gasser, maybe spend a little more on gears or dual rear wheels etc. i changed over from powerstroke to the 6.2 and 4.30 rear axle gears with the ZF 6 speed transmission and i think it pulls right up there with the 7.3 anyway. just have to let the six speed do it's job and let the engine rev.

Latest posts

Top Bottom