F-250 diesel trucks, ...I need schooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who's specialty is rebuilding diesel engines and has said many times that of all the pick up class of diesels, the Dodge Cummins has the worst reliability. I don't want to start a war here, it's just what I've heard from a professional, he also stated to stay away from the Ford 6.0"s but there was an after market fix for them if you wanted them to last beyond 100K
I’m not sure what he’s seen, but it must be something different than every other mechanic I’ve ever known or met. The same 6bt (very minor differences) is in a bunch of dump trucks, small semis, wheel loaders, dozers, and excavation equipment whose owners would disagree as well.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thousands and thousands of stock 6.0l lasted beyond 200k and 300k. No mechanic should tell you to stay away from any unreliable vehicle, that's how they make their money! :)
Religious maintenance and old-man driving will see a 6.0 go a long ways. And if you spend money to fix the inherent factory issues, it’s a pretty good motor. But that same money into a 5.9 will do some pretty incredible stuff!

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you want to save some money on purchase? then go with a ford 6.2 gasser, maybe spend a little more on gears or dual rear wheels etc. i changed over from powerstroke to the 6.2 and 4.30 rear axle gears with the ZF 6 speed transmission and i think it pulls right up there with the 7.3 anyway. just have to let the six speed do it's job and let the engine rev.
Great advice. I’ve been more impressed with the V10 than the 6.2 for reliability, which comes down to the bolt on parts of the years the motors were being used and not the motor themselves. I’m hopeful that new big block 7.3 will antiquate both, as I’m not interested in owning any more new diesels and its hard to keep the old ones on the road when the bodies and frames rust away

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great advice. I’ve been more impressed with the V10 than the 6.2 for reliability, which comes down to the bolt on parts of the years the motors were being used and not the motor themselves. I’m hopeful that new big block 7.3 will antiquate both, as I’m not interested in owning any more new diesels and its hard to keep the old ones on the road when the bodies and frames rust away
The V-10 Ford's I had were both gut less, had one in an F-350 and one in an Excursion. They just don't seem to have any torque and remind of a small block. They were both reliable though never had any engine issues I just didn't like terrible gas mileage and no power.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The V-10 Ford's I had were both gut less, had one in an F-350 and one in an Excursion. They just don't seem to have any torque and remind of a small block. They were both reliable though never had any engine issues I just didn't like terrible gas mileage and no power.
I agree, their performance is lackluster, but similar to GM’s 6.0 they’re known to reach over 300k miles with no internal work needed. It’s not fun driving a stock gasoline motor, but it is sensible.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, their performance is lackluster, but similar to GM’s 6.0 they’re known to reach over 300k miles with no internal work needed. It’s not fun driving a stock gasoline motor, but it is sensible.
I have a 6.0 in a GMC and just rolled 250k the other day and it's been a good one. I wouldn't be scared to buy another one. As far as I know it's never had anything done to it other than maintenance. But it doesn't get good fuel mileage, 12-13 is about it.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the newer diesels are any good at all. The older ones all have higher miles. I sold my 02 7.3 crew cab 4x4 short bed because i couldn't justify the extra expense to pull a trailer once a year.

The 7.3 is a great motor but every one of them leak oil, the 5.9 12 valve is an awesome motor but as mentioned earlier they come in a crappy shipping container.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One good thing about the newer ones is all the power they have, it's unbelievable how good they run now. My first Dodge was a '92 think it was a 160hp and 400 ft.lbs. My '13 has almost 400hp and 800lbs and pulls like a freight train and still gets 14-15 mpg.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it isn't Ford, but my 96 B block 12 V 4X4 Cummins just turned over 496,000. It is a 5 speed truck. So far it has had a new radiator, alternator, two water pumps, a set of front rotors, a front wheel bearing. I rebuilt the transfer case and had to re torque 5th gear. It has 3.50 gears and still gets 22-24 MPG. It has never left me on the side of the road. If that is one of the most unreliable trucks out there as someone said I'll eat your hat!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the newer diesels are any good at all. The older ones all have higher miles. I sold my 02 7.3 crew cab 4x4 short bed because i couldn't justify the extra expense to pull a trailer once a year.

The 7.3 is a great motor but every one of them leak oil, the 5.9 12 valve is an awesome motor but as mentioned earlier they come in a crappy shipping container.

That is absolutely false. They are simply marking their territory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom