F-250 diesel trucks, ...I need schooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the newer diesels are any good at all. The older ones all have higher miles. I sold my 02 7.3 crew cab 4x4 short bed because i couldn't justify the extra expense to pull a trailer once a year.

The 7.3 is a great motor but every one of them leak oil, the 5.9 12 valve is an awesome motor but as mentioned earlier they come in a crappy shipping container.
Everything you said in that post is pure 100% false, every bit of it...

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic. He said that the 7.3 liter Ford was best one Ford made. Several other people told me the Ford gas V-10 is one you don't want. I've never owned or needed a big truck. My 96' Land Rover will tow 7,500 lbs. and that takes care of my needs. One think to keep in mind. Do you get a truck that is a little under powered for towing one in a while but, gets decent mileage or a truck that tows anything but, get terrible mileage.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic. He said that the 7.3 liter Ford was best one Ford made. Several other people told me the Ford gas V-10 is one you don't want. I've never owned or needed a big truck. My 96' Land Rover will tow 7,500 lbs. and that takes care of my needs. One think to keep in mind. Do you get a truck that is a little under powered for towing one in a while but, gets decent mileage or a truck that tows anything but, get terrible mileage.

Back in the day before the EPA screwed diesel, the diesel truck was the answer to all of that. More towing capability, better mpg, cheaper fuel, less repairs, etc. Justifying diesel ownership gets pretty complicated now.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day before the EPA screwed diesel, the diesel truck was the answer to all of that. More towing capability, better mpg, cheaper fuel, less repairs, etc. Justifying diesel ownership gets pretty complicated now.
Exactly.. The 6.0 would not have been a bad motor except it was rushed and too much emissions stuff added. The 6.4 is a 150 mile throw away motor and the 6.7 is a complete disaster.

Wish diesels could get back to the basics.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had two Dodge Cummings Diesels, a 97 and an 04. and loved both. It cost more to buy, and operate a diesel, but if you pull anything very much it is worth the difference. My brother is a Ford Guy, and loves them, and i know several people, that swear by the new GM trucks with a diesel engine?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
you are entitled to your opinion... I have been a mechanic too long not to know the difference between good motors and junk.

Oh it's not opinion at all, it's all fact. You're really going to say that ALL new diesel engines are bad, that every 7.3l leaked oil, and every Dodge fell apart around the engine? It's just simply not true. I've had every diesel that Ford has offered except for the 6.4l. Every one of them had over 300k when I sold them except for the 2012 F350, it's just got 185k on it. Bad is a relative term anyway, what do you consider bad?

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh it's not opinion at all, it's all fact. You're really going to say that ALL new diesel engines are bad, that every 7.3l leaked oil, and every Dodge fell apart around the engine? It's just simply not true. I've had every diesel that Ford has offered except for the 6.4l. Every one of them had over 300k when I sold them except for the 2012 F350, it's just got 185k on it. Bad is a relative term anyway, what do you consider bad?
I have owned many as well. Just sold my 7.3 crew cab 4x4 short bed.. Been a mechanic most of my adult life. I respect your opinion, but in my first hand experience I think they are all crap now. None of them will ever live up to the longevity of the 7.3 PSD or the 5.9 12 valve without putting a lot of money into repairs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom