F-35s grounded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longstrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but... This doesn't sound like the type of thing that needs to be on YouTube. What happened to the days when this sort of thing was considered something we didn't really want our enemies to know about?
We live in the age of opening our mouths before thinking and way too many no longer have their brains and mouths connected

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently the military knew about the ejection seat issue for several months.

A widespread issue with ejection seats that impacted hundreds of aircraft across the U.S. military last week was first discovered on an F-35A Lightning II back in April, but the Air Forcedidn't ground its jets for three months as it investigated.

Martin-Baker, a U.K. manufacturer, said there was a problem with certain productions of its cartridge-actuated devices -- explosive components used to launch an ejection seat out of the cockpit. The company said it was first discovered this past spring at an Air Force base in Utah.

https://www.military.com/daily-news...discovered-3-months-ago-jets-kept-flying.html

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see your concern and raise it with the ire of those who demand the government answer all questions.

This happens more times than people want to admit or even think of. Counterfeit bolts and aircraft parts without proper documentation has and will continue to be a huge problem.

How do bolts get counterfeited? Ask the brothers in prison in New Jersey after a aircraft mechanic just happened to notice the bolt markings didn’t look like the one he just installed in an adjacent hole. Happened 2 years ago at Tinker and a couple of non police curious coworkers went to the vendors warehouse and caught the brothers doing shady stuff and turned them in. Went down really quick.

F-35? I have no clue, but it happens regardless of platforms. I was an E-3 in the Navy in the South China Sea when I got the word I was flying with the helicopter and a few other maintenance folks on an authorized “One time flight” to get the bird on the USS Midway so we could remove the rotor head to inspect, remove and replace the nut that holds that big rotor head onto the main gear box. It was referred to as the “Jesus Nut” and we got it done. The rest of the H-3 Fleet was hard down around the world.
Fact! Aviation counterfeit parts have become big and lucrative business.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe they should have stayed with the Martin-Baker seat.
A867C77F-079C-4101-8F92-42BEB21F50A6.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom