Factory 30-06 ammo tweaked vs stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the gun mags bought some factory ammo and took it all apart. Charge weights were very variable, up to .5 grains difference in some cases. Sadly, that's about all I remember from the article.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hhhhhhmmmmmmm ... You have given me an idea for a little experimentation, swampratt. I got a smoking deal on an old 8x57 Mauser from another member recently. I feel certain the barrel is toast, but I have toyed with trying a couple of different things with it before I decide to re-barrel it. I'll have to experiment with bullet seating depth before I give up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No doubt try seating depths.
A flat base bullet is less finicky when it comes to a worn out barrel.
Try them if you have them.. measure bearing surface as in all my shooting and testing the bullet with the most bearing surface length is the less finicky and most accurate one.

Now when all that does nothing and you know your brass prep is spot on with neck ID all the same and neck OD all the same and bullet seating forces are all the same I would cut some off the barrel you intend to get rid of.

OH YEA basically the barrel is going to be shelfed so might as well see what a shorter one will do for you.. less whip and a fresh crown.
If you are afraid to cut it I will cut it :)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, cutting an inch or two off of it was also one of the considerations. Thanks for the offer. You got a way to re-crown a barrel???

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut my .308 barrel but I took the barrel off the stock.. still attached to the action.
I wanted to go from 24" to 20 so I cut it 20.5"
The gun as is was not very accurate except for 1 load with a very long .475" bearing surface bullet.

So I took a tubing cutter and ran it around the barrel to make circle line.. I then took a fresh hacksaw blade and began cutting and I cut away from the line As I was going to file flat to the line.
I did just that and then went and shot it. It was about 1/4" at 100 yards better than it was.
It was .75" at 100 and now at .50"
I shot at 200 and it was under 1" .881" to be exact
I had a friend with a PTG tool to crown it .
I wanted to do 1 more thing ..before I crowned it .
I set up my disc grinder and table and rolled the barrel on the table and against the grinder with 180 grit paper.
This really flattened the barrel.. but it was almost spot on with the hand file.
I shot it and the group was the same size.

I crowned it with the PTG and it was almost unnoticable on group size.. I could shoot 300 and get 1.5 or 1.25" group on a really good day.

I have a 30-06 Mossberg (quiet new )that would not shoot boat tails.
I worked the crown over with lapping compound and then backing soda the crowning tool was a marble actually 2
different size marbles.

It now shoots Boat tails quite well Sub MOA to 500 yards.
There is a lot of chatter about crowns on the net.
You will be surprised how crude they can be and still shoot very well.
Little stickups or chips in it will not work well. that is about what the 30-06 looked like.

I could not really see them until I took a digital picture of it in natural light and loaded it onto the computer .
Now I can see the crown basically blown up to 6" diameter.

Try that with yours. take a pic of it.
maybe a marble crown jog could help it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom