Factory AR or two builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
build yourself. Youtube is your friend. Pick the parts you need to meet your intended needs and use the rest for ammo and optics. Hardened Arms makes a nice upper in a range of sizes/options with good prices.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From a tactical standpoint on a SHTF scenario, the AR pattern rifles are the ultimate tools. You can build a 308 for big game hunting or engagements at generally any given distance, or a 5.56 CQB workhorse to clear that "abandoned" Costco and hold up for the night, while the zombies await outside, knowing that what goes in must come out. Having said that, there are over 10 billion ways to build an AR pattern rifle, I would either build one, or get with a gunsmith/manufacturer to make the right tool to meet the role you have in mind.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went the path of "building" two ars three months ago. I got the OK from the misses when she bought 3 grand in furniture from mathis brothers behind my back (for our new house)... I took it slowly and just watched PSA every day. 3 days in I got a daily deal for 2 magpul mid length uppers no bcg or charging handle for 189 each delivered. Then a few days later I got 2 full auto NiB mpi and hpt tested bcg for 89 each delivered. Ebay scored me 2 BCM charging handles foe 39 each delivered. Then after about 2 weeks I got a crazy deal for 2 psa complete lowers with magpul STR stocks for 169 each delivered. Add 20$ transfer fees from broken arrow national guns and I have 2 excelent ar builds for $992(I had a carry handle and a ruger brand BUIS laying around that i am using). Unfortunately with recent events since then prices have taken a slight hike. If I were to do it again I would probably do something like a plum crazy or omni poly complete lower for $110, then find a sub 300$ complete upper to have as a back up/ spair, then use the remaining 600 to build a decent ar that "followed the path of not building a shitbox ar".

Latest posts

Top Bottom