Fairy ring grass fungus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fairy Rings usually don't make dead spots in bermuda. They are rings of toadstools.

Do you have a sprinkler system that runs short cycles every night? This is most likely the cause? Lengthen the run time and less nights so the thatch/roots don't stay so wet.

Edit to add info:
https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/spring-dead-spot/
I don’t have a sprinkler system but I do water all night long a couple nights a week. I didn’t know that about mushrooms. I’ll have to tell my cousin that. Thanks for the input. Hopefully I can get it figured out and fixed.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal, I think it’s too early to be worried about it right now. With this up and down temp we have, the Bermuda isn’t quite 100% active yet. If you haven’t yet, I’d recommend cutting it short and bagging it.
Also don’t water at night. Try to water early in the mornings.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from what i understand----fairy ring like the one you have pictured is caused by a fungus that lives on the dead cuttings and not the grass itself but it does put off a compound that makes the ground resist intake of water so the live grass suffers from lack of moisture. the treatment calls for aeration of the soil to break up and allow water to infiltrate to the roots.

Latest posts

Top Bottom