Fall Gardens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my 4 year old son and I are starting to enjoy our few plants we started this year…..strawberries. Cherry tomatoes, peppers. Just easy stuff. Now he’s full blown obsessed so I need some tips on how to start something for the fall.
We are thinking about carrots, broccoli, and green beans.

Right now everything is in pots but would like to do a raised bed. Or even a dedicated area in the ground. My best location is on the east side of the house in between 2 houses so it gets too much shade I think.
I’m basically looking for any and all advice on how to be successful enough to enjoy a few meals.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge @2busy is going to be our most advanced grower, from my time spent here.. I grow but my successes are about equal to my failures.. Green beans are not a fall crop to my knowledge.. Carrots will and we grow a LOT of carrots just got 2 different varities from Baker creek today in preperation for fall.. But both 2busy and I have greenhouses which allows a person to do a whole lot more.. Carrots, cabbage, lettuce are our 3 top fall favorites but there is a slew more.. It always depends on the season too, last year we had tomatoes into mid November.. We grow in mostly containers, split in half 55 gallon barrels, 8 bucks off CL in newcastle or $4 per pot.. If you you tube watch Gardening with Leon he's in Kingston or Mac's stomping ground..

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge @2busy is going to be our most advanced grower, from my time spent here.. I grow but my successes are about equal to my failures.. Green beans are not a fall crop to my knowledge.. Carrots will and we grow a LOT of carrots just got 2 different varities from Baker creek today in preperation for fall.. But both 2busy and I have greenhouses which allows a person to do a whole lot more.. Carrots, cabbage, lettuce are our 3 top fall favorites but there is a slew more.. It always depends on the season too, last year we had tomatoes into mid November.. We grow in mostly containers, split in half 55 gallon barrels, 8 bucks off CL in newcastle or $4 per pot.. If you you tube watch Gardening with Leon he's in Kingston or Mac's stomping ground..
I will definitely look for some barrels. Would have never thought of that. Do you fill the whole thing up with potting soil or use filler on bottom? Thought I read on here some people use wood in bottom of their beds.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beets are a good fall crop. So is spinach. I've overwintered spinach a couple of times and eaten from the plants all winter. I'm sure there are some others I'm just not thinking of off the top of my head ... Hmmmmm ...

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beets are a good fall crop. So is spinach. I've overwintered spinach a couple of times and eaten from the plants all winter. I'm sure there are some others I'm just not thinking of off the top of my head ... Hmmmmm ...
Yes they are but only the wife like beets and I got tired of spinach real quick.. I'm having to learn to grow only what I like to eat and not trying to grow anything and everything.. If your name is popeye spinach is a good choice..:Heya:

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Days to maturity is one thing you have to pay attention to for fall. Also the daylight length will be shorter the further as days go by. You probably still have time for fast crops like squash, cucumbers. Cool season crops like broccoli, radishes, mustard greens, turnips, spinach, collards can take light frosts but once temperature drops into the mid 20's they usually suffer freeze damage due to the water in the cells of the plant.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will definitely look for some barrels. Would have never thought of that. Do you fill the whole thing up with potting soil or use filler on bottom? Thought I read on here some people use wood in bottom of their beds.
Another great option for a raised bed is a water tote cut in half. 4x4x2 light and cheap. If you don’t want to fill with dirt put used plastic containers in bottom to take up space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom