Fancy Cooler versus Cheapie Cooler comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morning everyone!

Well, as a recent birthday present, my mother decided I just had to have one of those “fancy schmancy” newer coolers. Outright refusing to let her spend Yeti money in this day and age, she landed on this lifetime 77qt cooler. It feels very well built, sturdy, and promising. I decided to do a mini comparison between this “fancy” cooler and my “ole trusty” cooler that has probably traveled more miles with me to deer camp than any other piece of gear I own. I know, who is that bored? Well, when you’ve been teleworking for over two years due to Covid, you have to invent things to keep you distracted, and I have run out of calibers to test in gel and am nearly out of brass to process! Haha.

Now, I’ll be the first to say, this isn’t rocket science, and I won’t pretend that it is a perfect test. But, I figured this could be a decent “real world” side by side comparison for “should I spend the extra money for a new style cooler, or is the Cheapie good enough and that extra money could be better spent elsewhere?” I know you might prefer a different style of test, but this is how I did it. If you want something different, you are more than welcome to do your own testing. :)

I will update the post as I check the coolers and the test progresses.

Note:

1) both coolers chilled indoors for two days prior to test with lids open;

2) both coolers placed next to each other in middle of yard with identical sun and shade exposure;

3) both coolers had three (each) identical weight Bags of deep freeze frozen solidified store bought ice placed inside in same/similar arrangement; and,

4) the Old Trusty cooler is a 70qt, the Fancy cooler is a 77qt.

Attachments

• D339DDA5-1C49-4C59-87F8-0B0D81587BDA.jpeg
    D339DDA5-1C49-4C59-87F8-0B0D81587BDA.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll be interested to see how this turns out. I’ve been using rotomolded coolers for several years, and I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised.
Yeah. Normally I spend deer season coming to town to grab food or eating MREs or from a can. But with gas so high, I mathed it out, and we can actually cook steak in camp, for cheaper than just the gas to drive back into town (not counting the actual cost of food in town). So figured I needed to look into something a little more safer for “meat and dairy” storage in camp. The old Coleman is beat up, but actually outperforms my newer Coleman’s. So if the lifetime stomps it, I may pick up a second lifetime myself for long overland trips for drinks as well. Wel see! I’ve been looking forward to a side by side for a while. And since this is one of the cheapest entry level type of cooler of this style, figured others may be interested in the data as well!

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interested. I just picked up a larger coleman on prime day for $39

Seen here.....

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-hard-cooler/
I have a smaller Yeti, but only because Sportsworld was getting rid of them and it was much cheaper than normal.
I actually have the same (or nearly the same) Coleman as that. You won’t be disappointed at all. Unfortunately, mine is a much smaller than these 70/77qt and I wanted as close of a comparison as I could get. And I know that the free air volume inside will effect the results. But if end up getting another lifetime I plan on one more similar to it in size, so may do another melt test eventually between those two.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interested

Where abouts did this fancy cooler come from?

I have a 120qt Coleman from Sam's. It is my deer camp, beach fishing cooler.
Camped on beach for 4 days and had ice. I can 3 of these for the price of 1 fancy, half the size. That buys a lot of ice.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually have the same (or nearly the same) Coleman as that. You won’t be disappointed at all. Unfortunately, mine is a much smaller than these 70/77qt and I wanted as close of a comparison as I could get. And I know that the free air volume inside will effect the results. But if end up getting another lifetime I plan on one more similar to it in size, so may do another melt test eventually between those two.

Well it got good reviews and I wasn't gonna spend $3-400, plus Amazon cut the normal price in half for Prime day. Figured I could take a "gamble."

Latest posts

Top Bottom