Fanny packs back in style. Who's in line to get one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://http://newsok.com/artists-bring-fanny-pack-fashion-back-to-oklahoma-city/article/3575121

Artists bring fanny pack fashion back to Oklahoma City

Two years ago, Dylan and Amanda Bradway came up with this hilarious idea: dedicate an entire fashion show to what might possibly be the least fashionable fashion accessory of all time.

The fanny pack.

Amanda had seen a Brooklyn artist's fanny pack creations, and that spurred the idea of the fashion show shortly after the couple opened their Plaza District shop, DNA Galleries.

The show would be great. People would come to their art gallery. They'd laugh at them and their friends modeling spandex and fanny packs. And then maybe they'd buy a couple things from the shop.

Amanda even managed to talk her husband into wearing soccer shorts, tube socks and a fanny pack on the runway.

“I thought it was just stupid and it'd be funny,” Amanda said.

Of course, it worked. People thought the show was fabulous. Everyone had a good laugh.

A year passed, and then things got weird.

The public demanded to know: what about the fanny pack fashion show? Was it coming back? Was it happening again?

The Bradways hadn't really thought about it. They were so busy with their shop and
their side art projects that there just wasn't time.

But once they gave Oklahoma City a fanny pack fashion show, the city could never go back. The world could not un-see it. Oklahoma City needed more fanny packs.

So after a year hiatus, the Bradways are bringing back the show.

“We will be making history and setting the bar for original fanny adornment in the Midwest,” according to a statement on the DNA website. The show starts at 8 p.m. Friday in front of their shop at 1705 NW 16. They rented a red carpet.

“I'm kind of nervous because everyone's looking forward to it,” Amanda laughed.

First of all, let me say that I'm not trashing fanny packs. I'm a survivor of the 1980s. I had a fanny pack or two.

While I haven't worn one since elementary school, I must admit that the fanny packs the Bradways have collected are pretty fantastic. There's a fish tank and a boom box and a red-faced monster. My favorite is the robot face made out of vintage upholstery that's a golden-tan-yellow-brown that I'm pretty sure is found nowhere in nature.

They're all made by local artists, and they'll be for sale after the show.

Amanda also bought a couple of fanny packs covered in sequins, show-choir-style.

“I found some ridiculous ones,” she said. The best one is a donkey face.

Just pause for a moment and imagine yourself out and about on the town with a giant donkey face made out of sequins hugging your hip. You'd think to yourself, “I need to make a call. Let me get my cellphone out of my sequin donkey face.”

But for every donkey-face-shaped-fanny-pack artist, there's a donkey-face-shaped-fanny-pack buyer. It goes to the core of why the Bradways opened their store.
They sell handmade items, and nearly all of the 40 artists featured are local. They also showcase urban contemporary artwork. The goal is to help local artists make a living, Amanda said.

“If we don't support them,” she said, “they go to other states.”

And they'll take their fanny packs with them.

I'm thinking that a nice rainbow sequined fanny pack would be just the ticket for CC....

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://http://newsok.com/artists-bring-fanny-pack-fashion-back-to-oklahoma-city/article/3575121

Artists bring fanny pack fashion back to Oklahoma City

Two years ago, Dylan and Amanda Bradway came up with this hilarious idea: dedicate an entire fashion show to what might possibly be the least fashionable fashion accessory of all time.

The fanny pack.

Amanda had seen a Brooklyn artist's fanny pack creations, and that spurred the idea of the fashion show shortly after the couple opened their Plaza District shop, DNA Galleries.

The show would be great. People would come to their art gallery. They'd laugh at them and their friends modeling spandex and fanny packs. And then maybe they'd buy a couple things from the shop.

Amanda even managed to talk her husband into wearing soccer shorts, tube socks and a fanny pack on the runway.

“I thought it was just stupid and it'd be funny,” Amanda said.

Of course, it worked. People thought the show was fabulous. Everyone had a good laugh.

A year passed, and then things got weird.

The public demanded to know: what about the fanny pack fashion show? Was it coming back? Was it happening again?

The Bradways hadn't really thought about it. They were so busy with their shop and
their side art projects that there just wasn't time.

But once they gave Oklahoma City a fanny pack fashion show, the city could never go back. The world could not un-see it. Oklahoma City needed more fanny packs.

So after a year hiatus, the Bradways are bringing back the show.

“We will be making history and setting the bar for original fanny adornment in the Midwest,” according to a statement on the DNA website. The show starts at 8 p.m. Friday in front of their shop at 1705 NW 16. They rented a red carpet.

“I'm kind of nervous because everyone's looking forward to it,” Amanda laughed.

First of all, let me say that I'm not trashing fanny packs. I'm a survivor of the 1980s. I had a fanny pack or two.

While I haven't worn one since elementary school, I must admit that the fanny packs the Bradways have collected are pretty fantastic. There's a fish tank and a boom box and a red-faced monster. My favorite is the robot face made out of vintage upholstery that's a golden-tan-yellow-brown that I'm pretty sure is found nowhere in nature.

They're all made by local artists, and they'll be for sale after the show.

Amanda also bought a couple of fanny packs covered in sequins, show-choir-style.

“I found some ridiculous ones,” she said. The best one is a donkey face.

Just pause for a moment and imagine yourself out and about on the town with a giant donkey face made out of sequins hugging your hip. You'd think to yourself, “I need to make a call. Let me get my cellphone out of my sequin donkey face.”

But for every donkey-face-shaped-fanny-pack artist, there's a donkey-face-shaped-fanny-pack buyer. It goes to the core of why the Bradways opened their store.
They sell handmade items, and nearly all of the 40 artists featured are local. They also showcase urban contemporary artwork. The goal is to help local artists make a living, Amanda said.

“If we don't support them,” she said, “they go to other states.”

And they'll take their fanny packs with them.

I'm thinking that a nice rainbow sequined fanny pack would be just the ticket for CC....

Sign me up! How about an elephant face so I could tote my shotty...oh, right; cain't tote a shotty...never mind.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKC, the fashion capitol of the world has spoken. Hurry up and get your fanny packs now before they're all sold out.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fanny Packs are a dream come true for CCW people. I never had one since I had my CCW because the fanny packs got such a bad rap; people started calling them "Gay Bags" which I thought was unfair. They were great to carry stuff around in the summer, especially if you smoke, like I used too. I hope they do come back in style, my .45 will fit nicely in one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom