Farm Bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your wrong. And BTW, it's already passed with a landslide vote. Just needs Trump to sign it.

No, I’m not wrong. You and High Times magazine have no clue how agriculture works.
Unless you plan on harvesting your own seeds and planting them with a sharp stick by poking a hole in the ground your going to buy the seed from a certified seed producer that will be really proud of his product.
My wheat which also has to come from a certified seed producer is sold back to the farmer at up to almost 3X what you can sell at harvest.
When you buy from the certified seed producer you have to sign away the birthrights of your oldest child and swear you won’t keep any to replant next year under penalty of law.
Now, how strict do you think they will be on hemp?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's how I would group Oklahoma producers........

Group 1- Older generation, 60-80 year old, they're still farming the family homesteads from the land runs from just a generation or two prior to them. Pot has been taboo their whole lives, and most likely won't start now. They don't and won't differentiate between pot and hemp, it's the same thing to them. The older generations have seen things come and go dozens of times over the years, and if their farm plan is still paying the bills after all these years, they won't take the leap on something unproven. This generation also has the most oil/gas money, since rarely do mineral rights sell with the surface now.

Group 2- Younger generations, the twenty through fifty year old producers. They are much more likely to have an extensive cattle program, and need wheat pasture throughout the fall and winter, otherwise they're buying more hay and feed for 5-6 months of the year. The younger generations look to the older generation for advise on what's kept the farm going all these years, and I can hear them now..... "Son we've seen carpetbaggers come and go, and these things have held true throughout the years, oil, natural gas, and cattle and the crops are a bonus if they make." They're in line to inherit land and mineral rights, so why stick their neck out there with hemp?

You simply just don't see "new" farmers and ranchers, it's too expensive to start up from nothing. Any up and comers were born and raised on the farm and either want to continue the family farm/ranch, or they were born and raised on the farm and want no part of it, and go a completely different direction with their career.
Considering a section of land with Hemp on it will bring $1,000,000.00, they'd sure be stupid to not sell their cattle and raise hemp.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I’m not wrong. You and High Times magazine have no clue how agriculture works.
Unless you plan on harvesting your own seeds and planting them with a sharp stick by poking a hole in the ground your going to buy the seed from a certified seed producer that will be really proud of his product.
My wheat which also has to come from a certified seed producer is sold back to the farmer at up to almost 3X what you can sell at harvest.
When you buy from the certified seed producer you have to sign away the birthrights of your oldest child and swear you won’t keep any to replant next year under penalty of law.
Now, how strict do you think they will be on hemp?
Now was that really necessary?
I do know a little about agriculture and I know a family who raises hemp in ND just for the seeds. So... I do have a clue Dennis.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats gross. Growing cost should be minimal once you start collecting your own seeds. No irrigation needed nor pesticides. Bugs don't like hemp and it will choke out the weeds. So growing cost amount to the fuel it takes to plant and harvest I suppose.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats gross. Growing cost should be minimal once you start collecting your own seeds. No irrigation needed nor pesticides. Bugs don't like hemp and it will choke out the weeds. So growing cost amount to the fuel it takes to plant and harvest I suppose.

Where does that $600,000.00 combine and the $300,000.00 tractor, and the $10,000 drill, and the $100,000.00 in tillage equipment come from?
I think that section of hemp you just planted came in at a net loss.

Latest posts

Top Bottom