Farm & Ranch security

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have exclusive hunting access, we have been good friends since 1st grade school. I will be spending more time on her land, sure wish weather would cool off

This is one of the reasons why I don't hunt suppressed at night. I like it when people a long ways off ask me what I got into the night before when I crank off 15-20 rounds*.

As you know, word in the country travels well. I've had multiple neighbors joke that you don't mess with my place because all I ever do is run around and shoot stuff at all hours of the day. I bet if you keep after it, your friends place will earn the same reputation.

* Adding in here that suppressors aren't as quiet as one might think. My buddy nailed a hog one night with me on that widow lady's property I mentioned in my post above, and the neighbor (I also have permission to hunt his place) texted me from 1.28 miles off, asking if I killed anything because he heard the shot. My buddy was using a suppressor, and I Google mapped the distance because I was surprised that the sound made it that far.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why I don't hunt suppressed at night. I like it when people a long ways off ask me what I got into the night before when I crank off 15-20 rounds*.

As you know, word in the country travels well. I've had multiple neighbors joke that you don't mess with my place because all I ever do is run around and shoot stuff at all hours of the day. I bet if you keep after it, your friends place will earn the same reputation.

* Adding in here that suppressors aren't as quiet as one might think. My buddy nailed a hog one night with me on that widow lady's property I mentioned in my post above, and the neighbor (I also have permission to hunt his place) texted me from 1.28 miles off, asking if I killed anything because he heard the shot. My buddy was using a suppressor, and I Google mapped the distance because I was surprised that the sound made it that far.
Keep in mind Garfield county is 90% open, flat and a road every mile due to the land run, so grid work of roads every mile in every direction. Your neighbors may be a mile or further away but you can still see their home lol.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live on the very outskirts of NW OKC and we are seeing a huge increase in crime in this area. Hardly an issue over the past 14 years and now we are having vehicles stolen from driveways, burglaries, even a recent home invasion.

We have never had a formal neighborhood watch, but on my street alone, of the 15 houses, 6 are occupied by former or active LEO’s. We have been talking and are all being more vigilant in our observations and reporting of suspicious activity.

Side note…. I have a massive Great Pyrenees mix that is up all night and has a deafening bark. My next door neighbor kept complaining about his barking so we got a shock collar for him. Two weeks later, someone stole all of the gas out of her vehicle in the middle of the night. My only comment, “Too bad you didn’t have a dog that could have alerted you to something going on in your driveway.”

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good paintball gun sure will make a mess of a person and if the paint balls are old and hard they might smart a little 2. Yes, given the times crime is on the rise. Likely to increase more as the holidays roll about.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live on the very outskirts of NW OKC and we are seeing a huge increase in crime in this area. Hardly an issue over the past 14 years and now we are having vehicles stolen from driveways, burglaries, even a recent home invasion.

We have never had a formal neighborhood watch, but on my street alone, of the 15 houses, 6 are occupied by former or active LEO’s. We have been talking and are all being more vigilant in our observations and reporting of suspicious activity.

Side note…. I have a massive Great Pyrenees mix that is up all night and has a deafening bark. My next door neighbor kept complaining about his barking so we got a shock collar for him. Two weeks later, someone stole all of the gas out of her vehicle in the middle of the night. My only comment, “Too bad you didn’t have a dog that could have alerted you to something going on in your driveway.”
Dogs barking in the country are known as country music.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be, but if his Great Pyrenees mix has a bark anything like my daughter's had, it would probably wake up everybody in all fifteen houses in the neighborhood!

He by far has the loudest bark of any dog I have ever owned. It even annoys me when he is right in front of me and barks at me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to be honest here. Between this thread and Hodrod’s, I’m feeling like I’m living on borrowed time (so to speak), because in the 20 years my family has had a house in NW OK, nothing has ever been bothered.
With all the crime and mischief that seems to be taking place, I really need to up my security game.
I cannot recommend more the company of Pioneer Telephone to assist you in this.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind Garfield county is 90% open, flat and a road every mile due to the land run, so grid work of roads every mile in every direction. Your neighbors may be a mile or further away but you can still see their home lol.

I'm on 700 acres myself, yet everyone still hears me 😆.

But I do have trees everywhere...so I can still take a leak 360 degrees around my house (my wife hates that).

Latest posts

Top Bottom