FART Intellidropper Issues tonight…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about 21st century :bolt: :cool:

ill do some research. Makes me uneasy knowing that it threw 1.5 more grains than desired but was reading the desired weight… put me above the max powder charge according to my manual.

Everytime I get close to wanting to check into electronic scales and/or dispenser units for the convenience I run across one of these threads and remember why I just probably won't ever trust them. I once worked in a lab with lab grade scales. One of them would have it's display read out fluctuating just walking by it or up to it from 6 feet away and as soon as you got to it and stopped moving it would stabilize. The floor was concrete. I'd trust those without question but would never spend that kind of money for a reloading tool. $1500 to $5000? No thanks.

0.1 grains is a very small unit and requires a good unit to be reliable. You just aren't going to get that accuracy for $400 and less. I've been reloading since the '80s and have yet to find a better combination of a volumetric powder drop with a trickler and beam scale. Most of the time a trickler isn't even required but gives peace of mind on your load quality. The OEMs don't use tricklers and nobody questions a good name brand premium load. They aren't made with a some magic gizmo, they measure the powder.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too am in the beam scale camp and do not trust electronics.
Look at all the vehicles from the 21st century with failed electronics.

If you want peace of mind and utmost accuracy in your test loads use a beam scale.
Now it needs to be repeatable beam scale.
Trickle the load in the pan to the right mark and remove the pan and place it back on the scale and see if it reads the same.

If yes you are golden.
Once you do find a load and accuracy node you could actually measure by volume and get a very accurate hunting load.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn’t have a problem when I was using CFE223 powder but I don’t feel like it’s the IMR4064 that’s the problem. Thoughts?
Did you try a different powder(s) to see if the issue remains? If so, it's probably the unit.

Electronic performance is affected by heat, and faulty components can be extremely sensitive. Just warming up to normal operating temp with faulty components can make things go wonky.

Just a thought.
___

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a beam scale in 1980. Still have that beam scale to measure the loads that come from the Hornady electronic.
I've found the electronic is pretty danged accurate if keeping the power tube full. As it gets empty, the weight of the powder in the tube gets lighter. My beam scale confirms that.
When loading pistol rounds, the progressive loader powder measure pretty much remains accurate. Put ever 20th or so round on the beam scale to check though.
Consistency is accuracy.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I started with a beam scale in 1980. Still have that beam scale to measure the loads that come from the Hornady electronic.
I've found the electronic is pretty danged accurate if keeping the power tube full. As it gets empty, the weight of the powder in the tube gets lighter. My beam scale confirms that.
When loading pistol rounds, the progressive loader powder measure pretty much remains accurate. Put ever 20th or so round on the beam scale to check though.
Consistency is accuracy.

I’ll try adding more powder to the tube. I didn’t dump the whole pound in like I did the last time I was loading with CFE223.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Consistency is accuracy.
I have discovered this a couple times. It really depends on what type of powder for me. I have a bottle of 4064 but don’t remember if it barrel,flake etc

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Problem solved I think… was loading some powder and double checking each time with another scale. Got about 10 charged and was going to start seating bullets. I turned the light on that is built into my FART M-Press and my Intellidropper started throwing powder to 42.8 instead of 41.6. Turned the light off and recalibrated the machine and it charged the next 20 rounds flawlessly.

not sure if it’s the light that was the problem or if it’s the fact that it’s plugged into the same power strip on the side of my workbench.

also to add… I did put more powder in the reservoir. That may have had some affect on it too. Either way it seems to be working now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom