Fast internet problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly there is a chip or something being developed that will enable speeds similar to fiber over phone lines. It is said to possibly be deployed by ATT and maybe other carriers. Hopefully it's gonna happen. You can read about it on google. Can't remember the name of it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DSL is a digital signal and does not work well after about 18000 feet from a CO or RT (Central Office, Remote Terminal). We all know what the CO looks like but an RT is much bigger than the standard green boxes. https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....1c.1.64.img..14.1.248...0j0i67k1.bk3njHaqfh4 is what you would be looking for with an RT.

There are also a couple other things to think about with DSL, the wire size does matter. The older lines were fine for phone but the gauge is too small to properly work with a digital signal. Corrosion at some point would still allow a phone to work ok but a DSL will have TONS of problems. And the 18000 feet is wirefeet not just distance. Sometimes the lines will take a VERY different route than you would expect from the CO or RT, it could go right past your place and two blocks away to a distribution point and then come back to you adding just enough that a signal is not viable. And in some area's they used to put in a thing that I can not remember the name of but basically acted like a big inductor with ALL the lines for an area wound through it. Basically it was used to borrow some power from the lines and keep them all powered extending the viable distance for phone service. The inductance KILLS DSL lines. Also the farther down the wireline you are from the CO the more reduced the speeds will be. At the max distance a lot of companies will not even try to install a line because it will be ridden with troubleshoot calls.

The U-Verse is actually a different type of DSL called DSL2 or VDSL. It has higher speeds available but also has even more limitations than regular DSL, it works on the same principals and still only uses two wires but has a higher frequency among other things. It requires a different DSLAM as well as a different DSL bridge as the CPE than ADSL that is more commonly available. Most of the newer bridges (DSL nor cable actually use modem's as the signal's are all digital so not MODulate DEModulate is needed but the moniker of MODEM has stuck for most people) are made to work with DSL2 but are backwards compatible.

There is TONS of work being done to increase speeds and a lot of it requires fiber to be laid out as far as possible. Even the cable systems are running fiber to the node to support the Gigabit speeds they want to push but it's a slow process, hence the Gigablast commercials from Cox but little to no availability. Anyone saying next year is FULL of it. It may start rolling out next year but the farther from the CO the longer it will take to all be finished so figure around 5 years for it to be to you especially if you are farther out. And if you need proof look at Google Fiber, they are still laying fiber in Kansas City and it's already been about 5 years since it started. Anything that is still in the design phase it at least 8 to 10 years out as once the design is completed there is testing and even then the companies want proof before they invest in a huge infrastructure change.

I agree that if you are going to do the phone line route it should work to get them to lay the line for a lot less or even free. Otherwise like I said earlier a personal wireless link is a much better option than a cellular connection especially for streaming. It will still cost but you may even be able to offset the costs if other people are interested in a faster internet connection as well. That is how a lot of WISP's get started, basically start a Co-Op and make sure that you get a business line if you are going to split it that way. Each person pays a monthly fee for maintenance and to offset the cost of the broadcast equipment and then purchases their own CPE to hook up.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have to have a phone line laid. The guy that lives in the house I am buying has dsl now. Are y'all saying that Vyve internet runs off of a phone line? And if they come out and lay a line will that be able to run broadband? From what I understand is that Vyve doesn't run off of a phone line. It's not dsl. It runs off of a cable line. Vyve said that they were gonna kick up my ticket to the build crew to see if it is feasible to put in a terminal in the neighborhood. And if they say yes then it goes to management for approval. I'm not gonna hold my breath. But it would be a good move on Vyve's part. No one else has fast internet like that out there.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No clue what Vyve is, DSL was brought up and the discussion was kinda sidetracked. If the guy who is there now has DSL ask them how the service is there. If it's been no problem then it is still a better option than one of the cell hotspots especially when you have burned all the data and are getting charged per GB.

And if it's media you are worried about I have something that is great in that point. I turned off my Netflix account since it was the same old stuff rotated around.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My cousin said the exact same thing. He is the one that works for ATT so he knows all about that stuff. I wouldn't know who or how to go about doing that though. The thing that gets me is that Vyve makes their money off of internet, phone and cable. You would think you would do whatever to keep customers. Let me know if any of y'all know how I can go about hiring a sub contractor to lay the line for me.
It used to be that retired ATT guys would freelance and advertise in the yellow pages. Not sure where to look now.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have to have a phone line laid. The guy that lives in the house I am buying has dsl now. Are y'all saying that Vyve internet runs off of a phone line? And if they come out and lay a line will that be able to run broadband? From what I understand is that Vyve doesn't run off of a phone line. It's not dsl. It runs off of a cable line. Vyve said that they were gonna kick up my ticket to the build crew to see if it is feasible to put in a terminal in the neighborhood. And if they say yes then it goes to management for approval. I'm not gonna hold my breath. But it would be a good move on Vyve's part. No one else has fast internet like that out there.

If you have Cox cable at your house, the phone comes in over the cox internet line as voice over IP (VOIP) even if you have twisted copper pair (POTS) going in already. If you order a PHONE from Vyve they will need to lay their delivery method in the ground which is very likely the same cable that internet would come in on. Without knowing all the fine details of it, I do know that essentially phone service installation is considered a "right" in the U.S. and therefore the installation price is regulated with installation overages paid for by the fund that we all pay into through the Universal Access fee on our phone bills. If you call a company ordering just internet they can't prompt you about this, but if they happen to do a $8K install for phone service and then happen to run internet to you over the same wire there is nothing wrong with that. It's a little bit of a gamble (the price of a phone install plus a month of phone service) but it worked out for me with Cimtel phone/DSL. I got !,000 feet of copper laid for the (back then) $80.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I found a company on home advisor called cypress avi and I called them about laying a line and they are suppose to come down and look it over and give me a quote. Hopefully it's not more than a $1000. Would be nice. I'll update my info with what they say.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I asked my ex brother in law whom owns a tech company if there was a way I could pick up my dads Vyve broadband internet from my new house. I would say it's about 1/4 mile away maybe. He said there is a way to do it and he has the equipment t. Said something about putting an antenna or something on the roof. He also said I could only get about half the speed my dad gets. So if it works I am gonna have my dad get the fastest speed available and pay the difference. Have any of y'all done something like this? How did it work? Someone said something similar at the start of this thread but didn't know if that is what they meant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom