Fast internet problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a utility easement where they would need to run service to your addition? If not it may not be as profitable as it seems to you. One property owner may not give 2 schlits about the internet service and may want a mint to cross him. Without enough contracts in place for a long enough duration it wouldn't be profitable.
They obviously have more skin in the game and if the payoff is far enough out, maybe they see it as financially prudent to not invest the capital in it.
Not just easements, but there's also the possibility of subsidy, or of local rules (municipal codes) that require certain areas to be served in exchange for the privilege of a monopoly in the rest of the city/town/etc. There's often a lot more going on than you realize.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't tell if your serious or not? My dad and uncle sure weren't tickled pink with paying $60 for crappy, slow service. And it seemed about every other week my dads dsl was out.

Very serious. I have AtLink because AT&T won't run the line another 1/2 mile even though there are 75 homes in this neighborhood. We often lose service if it rains, gets cloudy, thick fog or a power surge. If it's a power surge then someone has to come out and manually reset the transmitter on the water tower.

In the afternoons when kids come home from school speed slows to a crawl. After 6:00 pm it can be slower then dialup. After the last little ice storm and power outage it took them 5 days to reset our tower. And they won't give credits for those days without service. It's all relative I guess.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very serious. I have AtLink because AT&T won't run the line another 1/2 mile even though there are 75 homes in this neighborhood. We often lose service if it rains, gets cloudy, thick fog or a power surge. If it's a power surge then someone has to come out and manually reset the transmitter on the water tower.

In the afternoons when kids come home from school speed slows to a crawl. After 6:00 pm it can be slower then dialup. After the last little ice storm and power outage it took them 5 days to reset our tower. And they won't give credits for those days without service. It's all relative I guess.

I've got skylink because the major network falls short of me by 1/2 mile and suffer the same symptoms mentioned.. Piss poor service in my eyes and pay $73 bucks a month..

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The same out here where I live. We have a phone line to the house but there isn't a DSL CO within range so after dealing with Hughes for year we went to @Link. I had to cut down trees to see the tower and have had them out no less than three times to adjust my transceiver. It is rare I get the advertised speeds that I pay for and am often on the phone with them, but it is better than any capped data plan available to me. I see someone is laying in fiber about 4 miles away across the river but I doubt it will ever get up this way.

Maybe the I44-I40 turnpike coming in will bring in some better service, but by that time we will have moved.

If I had any other option I would dump @Link immediately. Alas, I am without options and coming you in this forum over a whopping 2.6MBS when I pay for twice that.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For every problem there is a solution... https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/large-home-solution-kits It's not cheap but if you really want cell service that is how you can get something available. There is an outside antenna that you would want to get to an area that does have a signal available and the higher you can get it the better generally. The actual amp and then another antenna that you want to get as close to your home as possible.

Not an option. I literally have to drive down to the end of the road (1/4 mile away) to get even the slightest signal. No way I am running 1/4 mile of cable to an antenna that would have to be on someone else's property.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not an option. I literally have to drive down to the end of the road (1/4 mile away) to get even the slightest signal. No way I am running 1/4 mile of cable to an antenna that would have to be on someone else's property.

You might be surprised. Your handheld cell phone can get too low of a signal to operate but an antenna with a gain will get a signal. Height is also your friend in a situation like that. Plus if you know where the cell tower is located a directional antenna pointed right at it can get a signal a very long distance away from where a cell phone can not.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG
What are these? I have seen them on several houses.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely a CPE for a WISP. I know the grid one is since you can see the white box behind it. Looks like a 19dBi gain grid. The one on the long pole could be something in the 900mhz range so it could be cell or internet.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty close to what I suggested you do except the towers are higher and multiple people are connected to the network. Generally a WISP has a predetermined maximum bandwidth for all customers so there WILL be slowdowns when more people are using it. But if you have things that can happen late at night during off peak hours you can get things done. Most people will use a scheduler for downloads that are large (like movies or ISO's) and then use them later on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom