Fast internet problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same out here where I live. We have a phone line to the house but there isn't a DSL CO within range so after dealing with Hughes for year we went to @Link. I had to cut down trees to see the tower and have had them out no less than three times to adjust my transceiver. It is rare I get the advertised speeds that I pay for and am often on the phone with them, but it is better than any capped data plan available to me. I see someone is laying in fiber about 4 miles away across the river but I doubt it will ever get up this way.

Maybe the I44-I40 turnpike coming in will bring in some better service, but by that time we will have moved.

If I had any other option I would dump @Link immediately. Alas, I am without options and coming you in this forum over a whopping 2.6MBS when I pay for twice that.
Is Atlink better than 4G hot spot from a Verizon phone? Our signal is ok most of the time but at $10 per gig we're limited to mostly internet surfing. I've considered Atlink but most of the reviews I've seen are similar to yours.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, break down WISP, and WILL. You keep throwing out all the acronyms that folks in the field that use/install those on a daily basis but the average home owner or subscriber have no clue WTF your talking about.
Keep it very simple, and detailed if you would please.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is Atlink better than 4G hot spot from a Verizon phone? Our signal is ok most of the time but at $10 per gig we're limited to mostly internet surfing. I've considered Atlink but most of the reviews I've seen are similar to yours.
Can't honestly answer because I don't have 4G. It really is hit or miss. Some days it works great, some days I rest the antenna, some days I have to call. As of late it has been fine. What I do know is I can burn up 7gigs of data really quick and they don't charge by the byte.

View attachment 98635 View attachment 98634 What are these? I have seen them on several houses.

Most likely for Wireless Internet Service provider, such as @Link

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, break down WISP, and WILL. You keep throwing out all the acronyms that folks in the field that use/install those on a daily basis but the average home owner or subscriber have no clue WTF your talking about.
Keep it very simple, and detailed if you would please.

Since he didn't, I will. CPE is customer-premises equipment and WISP is a wireless internet service provider. WILL is will only capitalized.

Here is a pic of WISP with CPEs. Agreed that us techs should speak on layman's term unless we are geekin'

Attachments

• CPE WISP.jpg
    CPE WISP.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 203

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AtLink is great. Our service got knocked out on by the storm on March 28. April 7th they decided maybe they could send someone out to the tower to reset it. Good deal!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I tried to order dsl and pathetic att wouldn't let me get service even though the guy I bought the house from had it. They told me they don't have any more openings available. I said it isn't a new slot but using the existing one. That didn't matter. But then they told me I could get it if I got the guy I bought the house from to switch the account into my name. But he has already canceled it so that wasn't possible. Even though I don't know if he would have anyway. My cousin works for them and he is trying to get something done for me. Not holding my breath though. Leaning towards a hotspot from Verizon. They just installed a new tower a few miles from my house. Hopefully either my cousin can do something or my ex bro in law can actually do what he said he could with my dads vyve.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know how att Uverse internet works? Does it run off of the same kind of lines as dsl? Just wondering how much att would have to do out here to make it where we can get good internet. They say they are doing away with dsl to make way for all digital internet so hopefully they will replace our dsl stuff out here with new stuff so we can get service.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uverse is DSL with even more restrictions. It's a faster connection for sure but with more speed comes less forgiveness for line length, noise, among other factors. Most area's that have Uverse have a very close DSLAM and fiber ran to that DSLAM. If you have crappy speeds now with DSL you will not be eligible for a better connection.

The usual old DSL that has been around for a few years is ADSL while Uverse is VDSL

Latest posts

Top Bottom