Fast internet problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I won't get dsl. My dad and uncle had nothing but problems with theirs. It was always down and super slow. I can't get by with that speed. I will probably just cave and pay the cost to have the line ran. Even though it shouldn't cost a dang dime. My loan officer said he has windstream in jacktown and lives over 500 feet off the road and they laid the line for free. Cannot believe a company would rather lose a customer than to lay a line. It ain't that hard to do. We lay gas lines all the time and that is much more difficult but when someone wants service we don't penalize them for getting it. Apparently Vyve does. Obviously they are concerned with money so I don't see the reasoning behind it. They either lay the line or lose a customer. And if they would put a box in the neighborhood they could potentially have 10+ people subscribe. Plain stupidity.

I would play this angle. Talk to your new neighbors, see if you can get multiple people to be asking about the same thing in the same area, and you might have better luck with them putting in a box/new lines.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are in the process of buying a house in the country. Now I ain't talking about middle of nowhere country. Its a small community with a small school. Vyve broadband has service all over out there and I currently have it where I live now. I called to see if I could transfer my service to the new house and was told that I could get service but they would have to run a line to my house. I know I am at least 300 feet away because that is what they checked today. But I may be 1,000+ feet away. Who knows. They charge $10 a foot so depending on how far away the box is I could end up paying thousands to have service. I currently get their 105mbps speed. I use a lot of internet for my job and my wife's job as well as my PS4, sons xbox one, my dish receiver, and my tv and phones. And computer of course. I have checked into ATT and they don't have fast internet there either. The fastest they have is dsl which is only up to 6mbps. Ain't gonna cut it. And that is ridiculously high for how slow and bad their service is. My dad and uncle just switched from it. They paid almost as much as me for that slow and unreliable crap. What are my options? I have checked Online and there doesn't seem to be anything. The best thing is a mobile hotspot but I have had that before and went over the pathetic 10gb data cap in a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is exactly why I live inside Norman city limits instead of out in the country right now. We just bought our house in December and up until I started researching internet providers for out in the country, our plan was to move outside of town (as far as I could get and my wife not feel like we were becoming hillbillies). Once I started seeing what you are, our house search moved back into town. I work from home and have a constant online connection with the company I do most of my contract work for. I couldn't live with a connection as slow as is offered out there. And since I need that to be able to pay my mortgage, it was a no go. For me, the plan is basically to live in town and in a couple of years try to buy a few acres outside of town for my need to be out in the country. Eventually we'll move out there, but not until better internet gets out there or my job situation changes.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son moved near Lake T-Bird and couldn't find anybody for fast speed net.

Called and came out so far Atlink,Directv,Hughes, ATT, several others...

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just spoke with my cousin who works for ATT and does all the dsl repairs and he said that they plan on by 2020 having fast broadband in almost all areas. With maybe the exceptions being way out in the sticks. He said they are trying to get everyone off of dsl to cut their jobs. With a company as greedy as att I don't doubt it one bit. Now back to Vyve. I got a call this afternoon from them and they told me how much it would cost to run a line to my house. $8,000!!! I about crapped myself. I know dang well it don't cost anywhere near that. They aren't running fiber from the street to my house. They are running an electric cable. Just like I have coming into my current house. What a company. They would rather lose a loyal customer of years because they don't want to put forth a little effort to hook me up. So I have decided to go with dsl. It makes the most sense for our situation. Hopefully it runs good and not like my dad and uncles did. But my son and I are screwed when it comes to gaming and downloading our updates. Guess I'll take our systems down the street to my dad who has Vyve when we need to update. Steaming movies is probably done too. And I have a lot of owned movies we like to watch on vudu. Hopefully in a couple years or so we can get something faster. Guess I'll have to take out my frustration by shooting in my backyard!!

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you could hire a subcontractor to lay the line cheaper? Sounds like they are profiteering.
My cousin said the exact same thing. He is the one that works for ATT so he knows all about that stuff. I wouldn't know who or how to go about doing that though. The thing that gets me is that Vyve makes their money off of internet, phone and cable. You would think you would do whatever to keep customers. Let me know if any of y'all know how I can go about hiring a sub contractor to lay the line for me.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousin said the exact same thing. He is the one that works for ATT so he knows all about that stuff. I wouldn't know who or how to go about doing that though. The thing that gets me is that Vyve makes their money off of internet, phone and cable. You would think you would do whatever to keep customers. Let me know if any of y'all know how I can go about hiring a sub contractor to lay the line for me.

If they offer phone service, that install should be covered under that universal access provision and therefore you should only be charged the same anyone pays anywhere. Then, once the phone is in order internet service. This is exactly what happened to me with Cimtel out in Osage County. When I called about DSL they said I couldn't get it despite there being a pedestal at my gate. My brother-in-law works for a company that provides fiber to rural areas nationwide and suggested I just call and order a phone line. I did just that and ended up with a phone and DSL and a 1,000 or so foot buried install that I'm sure would have cost me $5-6K at the time. Apparently the companies can't "prompt" you to order a phone if all you're doing is asking about internet.

That said, we stream movies all the time on a 3MB DSL connection in the country and I surf the internet at the same time. I have cable in Tulsa and honestly don't see any real any difference.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they offer phone service, that install should be covered under that universal access provision and therefore you should only be charged the same anyone pays anywhere. Then, once the phone is in order internet service. This is exactly what happened to me with Cimtel out in Osage County. When I called about DSL they said I couldn't get it despite there being a pedestal at my gate. My brother-in-law works for a company that provides fiber to rural areas nationwide and suggested I just call and order a phone line. I did just that and ended up with a phone and DSL and a 1,000 or so foot buried install that I'm sure would have cost me $5-6K at the time. Apparently the companies can't "prompt" you to order a phone if all you're doing is asking about internet.

That said, we stream movies all the time on a 3MB DSL connection in the country and I surf the internet at the same time. I have cable in Tulsa and honestly don't see any real any difference.
I know I can get dsl. There are ATT boxes about every 100 feet. But for some dang reason Vyve is/was too dumb to make it where everyone in the edition could get internet rather than just 3 people at the front of the subdivision. I know for a fact it wouldn't cost anywhere near what they said it would cost. Fiber is ran from the Shawnee office out to the Main Street in front of our edition. Then from there it wouldn't be fiber to the house. That's what makes me so mad. The girl said well it's fiber so it's way more expensive to lay. They aren't running fiber to the houses. Like I said before, I have It now and it's not fiber to my house. And neither is my dads. Who lives a block away from the house we are buying. If Vyve were my company I would have them install a terminal where everyone could get it. And they would have the whole block using it I guarantee.

Latest posts

Top Bottom