Fat Guy Shooting Team - OKC Chapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I changed my mind again,,,
I think I'll make it a rimfire semi-auto day.

• Ruger LC-9 with .22 adapter
  • Beretta 87 Cheetah
  • Bersa Thunder 22
  • CZ-75B Kadet
  • Ruger SR-22

One reason is I want to see how these guns run with American Eagle High Velocity 36 grain HP ammo,,,
This stuff is the most common ammo seen at the Academy Sports in Stillwater,,,
So I bought a 400 round box to give it a test outing.

Other than that I'm just going for the camaraderie,,,
It will be nice to have faces for some of the names I know from here.

Aarond

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prohibiting steel projectiles I understand. What's the rationale to not allow steel cased ammunition?

Most ranges do a magnet test. If it's steel cased and no steel in the bullet it's extremely hard to tell vs something that is brass cased no steel in the bullet or brass cased with steel in the bullet.

The only way I can really think of to get around that would be to have a sealed box, open it and then sacrifice a round to a bullet puller and then test the bullet separately from the case. But that would be a lot of extra stuff and most ammo doesn't actually come sealed in any way.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's the rationale to not allow steel cased ammunition?

I don't know the policy of this range,,,
But many indoor ranges don't allow you to pick up your brass.

Once it hits the floor,,,
They consider it to be theirs.

Those ranges collect brass for reloading or resale to reloaders,,,
They don't want to have to go to the trouble of separating steel cases from brass.

Again I have no idea how this range is,,,
I'm hoping they are more civilized.

Aarond

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I was there I was shooting S&B 45 ammo and picked up my brass. I was told that if it lands outside your lane it is not yours anymore. If it lands in your lane you can keep it. Showed him the S&B cases with red primer sealer on it that landed outside the lane, it was too bad. I only shoot revolvers and rim fire there now when I go

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that one, I knew they allowed brass collection but about it going outside your lane is a bit off unless you are sweeping the whole range clean. Anyway we should have a few lanes side by side and I will have a bucket along for my brass, anything that I sweep up that may be yours feel free to grab and if anyone else wants to dump into it by all means feel free.

For anyone wondering I will have a four door, white, Dodge Dakota and will have a tan NRA hat. Probably be right in front of the door waiting by 8:45.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most ranges do a magnet test. If it's steel cased and no steel in the bullet it's extremely hard to tell vs something that is brass cased no steel in the bullet or brass cased with steel in the bullet.

Maybe they need better magnets or something - I've never had any real difficulty telling the difference.

many indoor ranges don't allow you to pick up your brass.
Those ranges collect brass for reloading or resale to reloaders,,, They don't want to have to go to the trouble of separating steel cases from brass.

That actually sounds more likely.

Anyway, thanks for the comments - just wondered why the prohibition on the case.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope just picking up my own and I wasn't sweeping just picking it up after every 2 or 3 mags. Switched to the revolvers and all was fine. Have fun be safe everyone i'll be working

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone coming along sees this and has an M&P 9mm if you can bring along a mag I would appreciate it. Got a 9mm barrel for my .40 and would like to try it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom