Fatal off-road recovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I visited a farm in Kansas while pheasant hunting back in the 80s that had one of these. The farmer that owned it told me he farmed over 1 million acres in the area. Said he could hook up enough disc plows to cover a section in 8 passes. When it came time to plow they would go out and take down any fences that might be there and when they started, they didn't stop. They would plow right on across the county roads to the next section.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Awww, that c-18 won’t drink that much more fuel than the old 3406’s/n14’s/ddec1 60 series unless some meathead dropped a marine flash file into it.
I don't know, all the Cat Challenger series tractors and combines guzzle it compared to the JD and IH and Gleaners. Lots other variables there too though.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I visited a farm in Kansas while pheasant hunting back in the 80s that had one of these. The farmer that owned it told me he farmed over 1 million acres in the area. Said he could hook up enough disc plows to cover a section in 8 passes. When it came time to plow they would go out and take down any fences that might be there and when they started, they didn't stop. They would plow right on across the county roads to the next section.
On a section that's 660' per pass, 220y...... I'm thinking he was drinking while sharing his story lol. It takes around 430-500hp to reasonably pull a 58'-60' cultivator depending on what size sweeps are being used. I would guess an 80' or 90' cultivator would be the biggest 750-900hp in the Budds of the 1980's could pull, disk plows are even heavier and would have to be smaller. Probably no more than a 20-25 bottom plow if anyone made one that big. Farm diesel was around 20-30 cents/gal then too lol. I've only seen one in person, huge machines.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
damm bet he had nice toys

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a section that's 660' per pass, 220y...... I'm thinking he was drinking while sharing his story lol. It takes around 430-500hp to reasonably pull a 58'-60' cultivator depending on what size sweeps are being used. I would guess an 80' or 90' cultivator would be the biggest 750-900hp in the Budds of the 1980's could pull, disk plows are even heavier and would have to be smaller. Probably no more than a 20-25 bottom plow if anyone made one that big. Farm diesel was around 20-30 cents/gal then too lol. I've only seen one in person, huge machines.
What do I know about farming. The wheels were 2' taller than I was. It sounded believable to me. :anyone:
Pretty sure he won the county tractor pull every year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom