Fatal off-road recovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that! good info for a lot of reasons. we lived on the edge when younger and were in those situations all the time. were we lucky probably. hate the reason it came about but can help a bunch of people!! very sorry it cost him his life. to the guy's family.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! As an off-roader myself I appreciate the video. Good reminder about safety. Sad for the guy to die in an accident like that.

Now for the snarky part!…. It’s always the guys in the giant lifted diesels who don’t know a damn thing about off-roading getting themselves into stupid situations! I’ve seen it first hand multiple times. The guy in the old jeep or Toyota he’s wrenched on for years with a winch and lockers is the one to learn how to 4x4 from. Not chad with his 10” lifted duramax

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've pulled many people from bad situations. What I've seen from others is that that want to take a chain, back up to get some slack and haul a$$ thinking that will jerk them out resulting in a broken chain and the result in the video.
You can take a tire, using two chains between vehicles to get an expansion joint that will cushion the pull or buy one of the nylon pull ropes that are about 2" in diameter to really make it easy for a recovery.
You can back up 20' from the vehicle to be recovered and pull it out from almost any mud pit. The driver in the stuck vehicle won't feel a thing other than coming out. The nylon rope stretches, and finally recovers with zero damage to the pulled vehicle.
I don't off road as much as I used to and am PO at the county road commissioner for putting down such a good road around our farms. I had no problem getting around because I knew the condition of the roads when wet which was full 4WD with big traction tires. Kept the weekend poachers down.
Now, a Subaru can go down those roads in a rainstorm. :censored:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
30' 200k lb jerk strap. Used 7x in two weeks in 2019 lol. Just took one yank per stuck, they work really well. Folks were needing a dozer in a few instances though that summer. It's hardly rained since.

Screenshot_20230325_061821_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230325_061720_Gallery.jpg

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom