Father's Texas Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my late father's old H Schmidt Texas Magnum. Not a Colt or Ruger but made in the 60s, used a lot and was poorly taken care of, but still works and locks up tight. Thing looks like it has been thru hell as my father was heavily into the old fast draw craze back in the day. Also his idea of cleaning a gun was "Why, the next bullet will clean the barrel" Believe it or not he told me that several times. I had to plead with him to let me clean them every few years.

I am going to try to make it look better if I can. Polish the brass grip frame, etc. Hard part is going to be refinishing the aluminum ejector rod housing and loading gate. Can not decide how to get a nice blue / black color to them, or how to remove the loading gate to do it. Any suggestions on finish for them? I know it is not worth much but it was my father's. I want it to look better.

Tex Mag 1.jpg
Tex Mag 2.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd leave it as is. Just a good cleaning and brasso the brass but that's it. Otherwise all its personality and character disappear with the notion of "refinishing" or "restoring" or "making it better". But, I know you're gonna do what you're gonna do.
Good Luck!
I am leaving the worn blue on the barrel and cylinder and the dings on the wood grips, but the rod housing and loading gate look like hell so I want to refinish them. Mainly because it reminds me that dad did not take care of his firearms. Honest wear I can live with. Neglect bothers me.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Rick ol buddy, but I say leave it as is too. Maybe give it a good cleaning but that's it. Nice patina and a helluva good looking rainbow on that case hardened frame. :thumb:

I know it angers you that he didn't take care of his thumb buster as you would, but just remember him as he was not as you wish he was.

I did the same thing to my father Smith and Wesson K frame Military & Police pre model 10. It has the absolute ugliest grips on it.

So I found some factory S&W magnas and slapped em on there, but suddenly, it became my gun and not dad's gun. So I put the uglies back on it and loved it for what it is.

Do what ya gotta do. The memories will remain, but they just won't be the conversation piece that they are presently. Good luck with your decision.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Rick ol buddy, but I say leave it as is too. Maybe give it a good cleaning but that's it. Nice patina and a helluva good looking rainbow on that case hardened frame. :thumb:

I know it angers you that he didn't take care of his thumb buster as you would, but just remember him as he was not as you wish he was.

I did the same thing to my father Smith and Wesson K frame Military & Police pre model 10. It has the absolute ugliest grips on it.

So I found some factory S&W magnas and slapped em on there, but suddenly, it became my gun and not dad's gun. So I put the uglies back on it and loved it for what it is.

Do what ya gotta do. The memories will remain, but they just won't be the conversation piece that they are presently. Good luck with your decision.
Ok you got a point there. I may not like the way he treated it, but it was his gun not mine. I will remove the tarnish from the brass and any rust I might find, but other than a good cleaning when I fire it I will leave it alone. And yes I do shoot it at times. Took it to the last Eat-N-Shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom