Father's Texas Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am leaving the worn blue on the barrel and cylinder and the dings on the wood grips, but the rod housing and loading gate look like hell so I want to refinish them. Mainly because it reminds me that dad did not take care of his firearms. Honest wear I can live with. Neglect bothers me.
Rick, I'm in the "leave it be" category, too, but if you must do something, this may do what you want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JCW2CG I would DEFINTELY remove the parts before treating them.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d leave it alone. I’ve seen people with A new Colt clone take steel wool to the blued parts to artificially get that worn look.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d leave it alone. I’ve seen people with A new Colt clone take steel wool to the blued parts to artificially get that worn look.
Yep. And one of the companies that sells the clones even offered one model already worn (for a higher MSRP if I remember correctly).
I fall in the "leave it be" category.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick,
I had a similar dilemma with my fathers old Browning Challenger I. Sweet shooting 22, but neglected, bad. Dad used to take this gun in his center console boat out in the Gulf… for “protection from pirates, drug dealers, and jackasses”.

I finally decided to have it cleaned up and cerakoted in bluish black, but leaving the bugger marks on barrel, grip, etc. Now this great shooting gun will be passed down to my fathers great grandchildren.

Before pics posted, I’ll post an After pic later.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpeg
    IMG_3897.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3898.jpeg
    IMG_3898.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg