Favorite 10/22 plinking ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot Federal bulk in everything I have. Marlin 60 loves it and no problems in the 10-22 after replacing the extractor and polishing the guide rod. It wasn't the ammo's fault. Never had a FTF and sent many skunks to skunk heaven.

Buzz70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys. I've been shooting CCI mini-mag, but thought I might branch out a bit and try a few others. I've been happy with the CCI but I noticed many of the other name brands are cheaper. I picked up some Remington Thunderbolt and Winchester Wildcat to try out.

I experienced quite a few FTF with the Win Wildcat. I stopped shooting them and switched over to the Federal I had with me. Not sure if it was just bad luck or if that's expected from Wildcat.

centraloklahoma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AHHHHH... the memories......Christmas morning 1982. The long box at the back of the stack of other presents.....up against the wall. My Dad gave me a Ruger 10/22, my first firearm...along with a second 10 round factory magazine a two 500 count bricks of FEDERAL LIGHTING...............

Federal Lightings and now any Federal bulk pack has always been very accurate, clean, and has functioned well in the Ruger 10/22's, Ruger MK III 22/45's, and Beretta 21A's that I have shot it in.

Funny how Dad bought me Federal. He had always been a Remington guy. I found out years later he bought that first 10/22 at Service Merchandise in OKC. They must have had Federal on hand.

Now that Federal Lighting was in 50 round boxes, 10 boxes to a brick. The brick was dark blue with white lettering. You used to be able to get 8 (YES EIGHT) bricks of it in one surplus fifty call ammo can. Years later they messed with the packaging and last I noticed I could only get 6 bricks of it in a can. Of course this is the 50 round box stuff and not the bulk pack all in one box stuff.

OH yes I still have that 10/22 and its going to the range this holiday season.

My grandpa always bought those Winchester Wildcats. I think he got them at OTASCO or Baptist Sporting Goods out in Shawnee. We shot many tin cans with the Wildcats and never had a problem with them in the 10/22.

My other .22 ammo experience has been with CCI mini mags for general shooting....but my prefered rabbit and squirrel hunting ammo has always been the CCI Stinger.

I did have good experience with shooting PMC .22. Those seemed to have alot of bullet lube or wax on them but they functioned very well. I think I bought quite a few of those 500 round packs at the old South West Shooters in OKC. The older blond lady behind the counter there knew her ammo and the more you bought the better the deal would be. I remember her throwing in a box of this and of that to "try out" and let her know next time I came in how it worked and what I was shooting it in.

Though Dad did give me quite a bit of Remington .22 when he passed away so I know I will be finding out all about it in the near future.

CP

kades_dad

New to the site!
Reaction score
Federal auto match! Drives a bullet hole at 50 out of my 10-22 with butler creek barrel! 350 round pack for $15 at Wally world... If anyone hasn't tried the Cmmg .22 conversion in your AR, these things are awesome! Just as accurate as shooting 223 at 30 yards!

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot 180 rounds a couple days ago, 60 Win Wildcat, 60 Federal, and 60 Rem Thunderbolt. All functioned as well as the CCI I've been using while being about half the price. I did notice a small number of the Wildcats and Thunderbolts sounded a bit weak. I'm having a lot of fun saving money shooting the 22 as opposed to my bigger stuff. I might just have to see about getting a .22 pistol too. lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom