Favorite duck call ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went teal hunting three times last month. The first two trips, the only birds that came into my spread-literally kept landing on top of it, 20 feet from me-were woodies. That spots in eastern Oklahoma (east of highway 99) in a heavily wooded area. All my honey holes west of 35 hold the green heads. I personally have never seen nor shot a woodie west of 35, but I know people that have.
Oh boy, I bet that was exciting, at least it would have been for me.

I have never hunted Eastern Oklahoma before, but it sounds like you have some very good hunting areas.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to make duck calls out of beer can pull tabs. They didn't work real well but they got a few laughs. :D

Last edited:

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh boy, I bet that was exciting, at least it would have been for me.

I have never hunted Eastern Oklahoma before, but it sounds like you have some very good hunting areas.
Ya, so those two days were the most woodies I’ve ever seen together. I’m an amateur at waterfowling. I’ve shot more than my share of woodies, but I’d never seen that many at once. They’re an amazing bird to just watch. Still not a pretty as a male ring neck (that would be a great poll question!), but nonetheless, I loved watching them. I’ve quickly figured out to not always shoot the ducks that come in, as you can learn so much about them by sitting still and watching them and listening to them. In the past 12 months, I think I’ve shot more teal than anything besides honkers.

Seems like there’s a consensus around here as to the effectiveness of that Sean Mann honker horn!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to make duck calls out of beer can pull tabs. They didn't work real well but they got a few laughs. :D

I have seen guys make and use "duck calls" similar to those going back nearly 60 years. Of course most of them come back from a hunting trip with nothing but an empty bag, or at the very least, a bag of empty beer cans.

Still a pretty good video of the laugh's that elderly gentleman got for all his hard work.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sems like there’s a consensus around here as to the effectiveness of that Sean Mann honker horn!
Sean Mann goose calls are no different than guns, ammo, hunting boots or even hunting dogs. Everyone has their favorite, and at least for now, are able to pick and choose what they like and leave what they don't.

I happen to be tone deaf, and the Sean Mann goose call that I use is one of two calls that I can actually hear the exact tone and pitch of.

I only use the other calls because the ducks and geese seem to like them better than I do. 👍

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its what you can make work for you. everyone calls differently. My old buddy brought in some huge flights with that little Faulks call.i was just a amateur compared to him he started very young and got really good I just filled in for extra noise

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its what you can make work for you. everyone calls differently. My old buddy brought in some huge flights with that little Faulks call.i was just a amateur compared to him he started very young and got really good I just filled in for extra noise
Very true.

Since you mentioned Faulks, that is so one call that I am missing, as well as my bamboo mallard call, which sounds super ducky. I really need to find those calls.

Latest posts

Top Bottom