Favorite IWB Holster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do the UBG holsters ride too high? half the cost of a ttgunlether.. I need one for my usp compact

Ride height depends on which model you choose. From Nate's website ... "OWB, or Outside Waist Band are designed to be worn outside of your pants, connected to your belt. Ride height, highest to lowest: Bonneville, RTBA, Regulator, Phaetos."

@druryj would be your best source here to discuss ride height. He owns various models!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do the UBG holsters ride too high? half the cost of a ttgunlether.. I need one for my usp compact

Do you want an IWB or OWB? I generally like a low ride holster too but the RTBA, which is a mid-ride Classic pancake holster for OWB, just works real well for me and the Canute works really well for IWB. Just stay away from the Bonneville for a larger gun, IMO, and you’ll probably be more than happy. That Bonneville rides pretty darn high, it would be good for a small, lighter gun I believe. I had one for a CZ 75 Compact, it was a nice holster, but the butt of the gun was up to high for my liking. Dang near up in me armpit. If you want one that rides even lower, the Phaetos is a very comfortable OWB Holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have carried for over 40 years. I have had shoulder holsters, ankle holsters, pancake holsters, crossdraw holsters, and plain old duty holsters. I have tried Safariland, Bianchi, Desantis, Crossbreed, Galco, etc. I have used leather and Kydex and have especially liked the new Alien Gear 4.0 Shape Shift.

Leather has always made me sound like a horse wearing a saddle with the leather squeaking every time I breathe. Alien Gear has an adjustable friction retention with just a turn of the locking device to adjust to your level of comfort in retention. I have tested this quite extensively and can say screwed all the way down I can't get the gun out myself.

I have always been used to a thumb break strap on my leather holster and Alien Shape Shift provides a thumb break on their holster that doesn't go across the top but instead grabs the trigger guard and fully encases it. It has a very satisfying "snap" when the gun is fully seated and with a push down of the thumb releases fast.

The backing is a very breathable mixture of materials that has never pinched or been really soaked with sweat as it really breathes.

cdn.aliengearholsters.com_media_catalog_product_cache_1_image_34db5b4055a90222d749107d9c4c4f7e.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Baby powder around the area where the loops attach to the holster body usually helps the squeak stop squeaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stealth Gear Ventcore IWB for me. I tried the Alien Gear 2.0 for my G26 and while it was comfy, it was a poor choice for classes where reholstering was common--the flexible nature of the holster material made it difficult to reholster. I do wonder if the 3.0 series would perform better in my use case. I tried some quality kydex IWB holsters and didn't like any of them, they were much less comfortable than their hybrid counterparts. The Ventcore was just the right balance of rigidity and flexibility. Plus, it breathes pretty well.

Stealth Gear holsters have come down significantly in price, the Ventcore line used to be ~$100 a pop and now are $65. Competition is a beautiful thing!

Latest posts

Top Bottom