Favorite self defense ammo .45??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Operator45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a few different types of "self defense" types of ammo, I was wandering what your opinions are on the subject. Anyone out there have a favorite? or one they trust the most?

Oh, and :friday:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unlike most other calibers the .45ACP for self defense works with just about any bullet design as long as the firearm used will function with it. There are new designs out there that are supposed to expand.

I look at it this way, it has to function in my gun of choice, it has to be accurate in the same, after that penetration is the most important, if it expands great, if not no big deal its still a .45 caliber.

I know what each of my .45ACP firearms will do, and have no issues carrying FMJ, HP, or SWC. Remember the .45ACP is a subsonic round, and when a cartridge such as this has a HP designed to function at such low velocity it will act just like a parachute and start to slow down faster than a solid round, and depending on what it encounters upon entry may be slowed to where is doesn't penetrate far enough to do damage to the vital organs.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite SD round in my .45 is any quality FMJ....not a big fan of hollow-points in the .45. I figured that the platform was set up to use ball ammo for man-stoppage, so I tend to stick with that.

I figure with these premium .45 hollow-point rounds, you are really just over-paying for ammo that won't stop folks as well as good old FMJ. I HAVE been toying around with the idea of this round from Federal though, couldn't find the .45-specific ad/example, but here's the .40 version:
[Broken External Image]

FMJ aerodynamics with expanding round capabilities? The concept SOUNDS cool, but I haven't studied it yet. All that said, it does look interesting......

NOW, in my 9mm's that is an entirely different story.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but as soon as I can get some I want to try Federal HST. From everything I've read it is the new top dog. It is supposed to expand better than anything else. But right now it's impossible to find.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still like those golddots for these and 9mm. btw, what ever happened to hydrashoks? that used to be the cream back in the day.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry the Speer Gold Dots. From all that I've found, I dig the expansion capabilities. Yes, even through clothing. If, for whatever reason, they didn't expand as advertised...like dude already said - it's still a .45.
And, they run in my gun just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom