Favorite self defense ammo .45??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Federal HydraShoks, and I carry them every day/night.

The Win Ranger LE load seems like a good one, and works good in my carry weapons, (but I have plenty of Federal HS on hand).

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All of the current SD loads for the .45ACP seem to have their followers. Most of the ones listed have been getting a pretty good track record, and some of those listed I have used. I still prefer ball or an HP that is in the same weight of ball for POA/POI. I have found that alot of the 185gr, and 200gr in standard velocity and +P tend to shoot low, at least in my guns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have not heard of anyone taking deer with a .45... good info!

They made them legal for deer about three years ago, and I figured it was such a great man stopper, it should work well on deer. I shoot from a ladderstand with a good solid rest.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_PB280292.jpg

Also took a bob cat with it at about 4 yds from a tree stand.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00165.jpg

Here is the recovered 185 gr Speer Gold dot +P from the bobcat. I didn't weigh it for loss, but its a pretty impressive expansion. He was straight down, and his elastic skin in combination of the ground, allowed bullet recovery. Never did find the bullets from the deer.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00256.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00258.jpg

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They made them legal for deer about three years ago, and I figured it was such a great man stopper, it should work well on deer.

Do you need to take a course like with rifle to get a hunting license? I didn't know you can do that either. Can you take me a few times when you go?? Sounds like fun.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On those occasions when I carry my S&W model 625 concealed, I use either WWB hardball, or my special -P (minus P) 185 gr, LSWC load. Usually, it is the WWB for convenience.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you need to take a course like with rifle to get a hunting license? I didn't know you can do that either. Can you take me a few times when you go?? Sounds like fun.

Your basic Hunter Safety course will allow you to use any legal weapon. I'd like to take you with me, but I hunt on anothers land, and he is really picky on who has permission.

Latest posts

Top Bottom