Favorite self defense ammo .45??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't carry a 45, but my dad does. We looked into this a bit on the internet. My vote would be for the T-series Ranger ammo. That's what I have in my 40 S&W as well.

Here's a pic of the expansion of a T-series 45 ACP shot into water.
awww.hipowersandhandguns.com_P220ammo_files_image022.jpg

This is a great thread about the Winchesters. Scroll about half way down for some great pictures.
Thread about T-Series Ranger and PDX1

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
When I carried a 1911 I loaded what ever I had. More times than not it was ball or 200 grain semi wadcutter. I always had faith in the 230 ball.

bubbaokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I roll my own....and what tests I have run favor the Gold Dots in the 45 acp....
AND, I like the keith type casts in my 45 colt...but I presume you were talking about the 45 ACP....but I prefer the 45 colt.....

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agree, the 45 Colt is a great cartridge.

I like a good, stout load of W296 with 300 grain Hornadys.

But, I've made my 45 Colt brass by trimming 454 Casull brass.

Sure is a handful with my 4" barreled S&W Mountain Gun.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutly love my .45, but in a situation such as home defense especially in the dark I prefer a 12 gage with any ammo big enough to saw' em in half!

For most stuff inside your house, birdshot will saw em in half. How big do you think the pattern of a 12 gauge is at 20 feet? You should be very conscious of over-penetration, if you have other people living in your house, wife, kids, etc. I know everyone seems to want 00 Buck, but the absolute biggest I would think about using in a 12 gauge would be #4 buckshot. Just my $0.02.

Latest posts

Top Bottom