FBI admits flaws in hair analysis over decades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd assume that nobody in the position to do something about it wants to open that can of worms.

Why not? I would have thought the victims of her deceit and lying on the stand would have brought out some lawsuits.

The next DA should have taken her to trial.

Its amazing to me that those in that position can just walk away after ruining hundreds of lives maliciously.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not? I would have thought the victims of her deceit and lying on the stand would have brought out some lawsuits.

The next DA should have taken her to trial.

Its amazing to me that those in that position can just walk away after ruining hundreds of lives maliciously.

The general doctrine is that the further removed from the investigation, the greater immunity the official enjoys. Thus, the beat cop who fakes evidence can be prosecuted, but not the lab tech or the DA.

It's changing--slowly--but there's a long way to go. Even beat cops are rarely prosecuted; the prosecutor is "on the same team" as the cop. A prosecutor bringing charges against another prosecutor? Not likely.

Throw in the facts that the best charges to bring against a dirty DA would be federal, not state, charges; that US Attorneys are political appointees, not answerable to the people; and the fact that "law and order" types are more likely to be of the "can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" types, and you're not going to see a whole lot of cases against prosecutors who cross the line.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The general doctrine is that the further removed from the investigation, the greater immunity the official enjoys. Thus, the beat cop who fakes evidence can be prosecuted, but not the lab tech or the DA.

It's changing--slowly--but there's a long way to go. Even beat cops are rarely prosecuted; the prosecutor is "on the same team" as the cop. A prosecutor bringing charges against another prosecutor? Not likely.

Throw in the facts that the best charges to bring against a dirty DA would be federal, not state, charges; that US Attorneys are political appointees, not answerable to the people; and the fact that "law and order" types are more likely to be of the "can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs" types, and you're not going to see a whole lot of cases against prosecutors who cross the line.

That's not right. Guilty is guilty. That system needs to change. There needs to be citizen oversight or non-appointed career investigators to prevent this.

Where are the rights of the individuals that spent time in prison unjustly convicted because of lies by public officials?

Where are the rights of their families that suffered then and will suffer for years afterward?

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wait a sec...didn't Grisham talk about how we now knew that "hair matching" was bogus in his "Innocent Man" book? Haven't we known that wasn't as accurate as claimed for a while now? The FBI is just now admitting it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom