Federal 10mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On a recent purchase of Federal 10mm Auto from Midway, I opened the box and found that they seem to use small pistol primers.

I compared them (visually) to some 10mm ammo that I have and the primers are definitely smaller that on the other stuff I have.

Has anyone else encountered something like this?

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have been putting small primers in 10mm for quite some time, used to be pretty
Rare, becoming more and more common now days. I have not noticed any difference in the
Way they shoot. I don't load different for small or large primer either. Just a small pain
To sort them out.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the switch to small primers coincided with everybody figuring out that .40S&W was an answer to a question nobody asked. "Hmm, 10mm is gaining in popularity again, and .40 is going in the tank, so if we standardize on the small primers, we can use all this tooling that's being underutilized..."

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a question I sent to Federal.

This concerns your 10mm ammunition. I reload and I am set up for using Large Pistol primers for this cartridge.

I recently acquired some 10mm personal defense loads made by Federal that have Small Pistol primers in them. Do you not make 10mm with LP primers anymore?

Thank you.

I'll share their response, if any, with you.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a question I sent to Federal.

This concerns your 10mm ammunition. I reload and I am set up for using Large Pistol primers for this cartridge.

I recently acquired some 10mm personal defense loads made by Federal that have Small Pistol primers in them. Do you not make 10mm with LP primers anymore?

Thank you.

I'll share their response, if any, with you.
FYI

This is Federal's response to an email I sent them asking about this.

Gerhard1

We manufacture them with small pistol primers.

Thank You

Federal Ammunition

Tech Services

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, cci and federal do it, as do a few other manufacturers. I loathe coming across them as I cannot run spp in my 1911-10mm due to them not having enough meat on them to reliably be detonated by the firing fin strike location.

I use them hog hunting mainly in my hi point carbine as I know I’m not gonna find them, and don’t mind losing them.

For what it’s worth, I’ve discovered that subbing a small pistol mag primer will make the performance on the chrono be loosely identical to the large pistol standards I use in most of my other 10mm loadings.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, cci and federal do it, as do a few other manufacturers. I loathe coming across them as I cannot run spp in my 1911-10mm due to them not having enough meat on them to reliably be detonated by the firing fin strike location.

I use them hog hunting mainly in my hi point carbine as I know I’m not gonna find them, and don’t mind losing them.

For what it’s worth, I’ve discovered that subbing a small pistol mag primer will make the performance on the chrono be loosely identical to the large pistol standards I use in most of my other 10mm loadings.
I had to look to see what the latin phrase under your avatar meant. Quite philosophical.

Latest posts

Top Bottom