Federal Job Offer -- Negotiating Starting Salary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm retiring May 1 with 28 years as a Commissioned Officer . . . hoping to come back as a civilian shortly after. I'll let you know if I have to negotiate.

Early congrats on the retirement. I’ve got quite a ways to go. I’m a little shy of 6 years currently of civil service.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was my understanding. The grade I've been offered encompasses and exceeds my present salary by a bit, but the step they offered is around $20K a year less than what I presently earn. I asked during the interview about negotiating an acceptable step and the hiring manager indicated that something could be worked out based on my years of experience, professional licensure, etc. The person from the staffing office contacted me later to extend the tentative offer and I indicated that I would need more money. I was advised to submit my most three recent pay stubs as well as justifications and this would be handed off to management to begin the process of making a different offer. I spoke to the person from the staffing office the next day and was told to "wait and relax."

Now I'm in the anxiety phase. How long does this usually take? Does the agency make an honest effort to try and at least match what you're presently earning?
If you were transferring from one Govt job to another, they would be required to match your current pay rate. The do this by either giving you your current Grade and step, or by increasing your Grade and lowering your step to the first level that is higher than your current. Second option allows faster step increases as the increases start at on a year for first three years, then one every two years for next three years, then one every three years until you reach step 10.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you were transferring from one Govt job to another, they would be required to match your current pay rate. The do this by either giving you your current Grade and step, or by increasing your Grade and lowering your step to the first level that is higher than your current. Second option allows faster step increases as the increases start at on a year for first three years, then one every two years for next three years, then one every three years until you reach step 10.
This would be a new federal appointment for me if we can come to terms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom