Federal Job Offer -- Negotiating Starting Salary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Generally, the grade is non-negotiable, but you can negotiate the steps within that grade, as well as the time in grade before being eligible to move up to the next grade if the position allows it. You can also negotiate benefits. Of course, they can say no in which case you take the job as is or walk.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely!

Look at the GS pay scale and propose away! You would be surprised at how flexible they are and after reading how understaffed the government is right now you might get what you ask for!

I would also ask if there is a signing/recruiting bonus for the position, my first GS job had one back in 2009 but I was not made aware of it, until after I had accepted my position.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Generally, the grade is non-negotiable, but you can negotiate the steps within that grade, as well as the time in grade before being eligible to move up to the next grade if the position allows it. You can also negotiate benefits. Of course, they can say no in which case you take the job as is or walk.
That was my understanding. The grade I've been offered encompasses and exceeds my present salary by a bit, but the step they offered is around $20K a year less than what I presently earn. I asked during the interview about negotiating an acceptable step and the hiring manager indicated that something could be worked out based on my years of experience, professional licensure, etc. The person from the staffing office contacted me later to extend the tentative offer and I indicated that I would need more money. I was advised to submit my most three recent pay stubs as well as justifications and this would be handed off to management to begin the process of making a different offer. I spoke to the person from the staffing office the next day and was told to "wait and relax."

Now I'm in the anxiety phase. How long does this usually take? Does the agency make an honest effort to try and at least match what you're presently earning?

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the GS shuffle and you might or might not be able to negotiate a step in the grade , depends on the announcement and the position . My military service got me a full 8 hours of leave when most of the time you start out with 4 hours a month. Good luck

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the GS shuffle and you might or might not be able to negotiate a step in the grade , depends on the announcement and the position . My military service got me a full 8 hours of leave when most of the time you start out with 4 hours a month. Good luck
New federal employees earn 4 hours each pay period and military service entitles you to 6 hours per pay period. I have six years of Navy service. And that was not the focus of my question.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was my understanding. The grade I've been offered encompasses and exceeds my present salary by a bit, but the step they offered is around $20K a year less than what I presently earn. I asked during the interview about negotiating an acceptable step and the hiring manager indicated that something could be worked out based on my years of experience, professional licensure, etc. The person from the staffing office contacted me later to extend the tentative offer and I indicated that I would need more money. I was advised to submit my most three recent pay stubs as well as justifications and this would be handed off to management to begin the process of making a different offer. I spoke to the person from the staffing office the next day and was told to "wait and relax."

Now I'm in the anxiety phase. How long does this usually take? Does the agency make an honest effort to try and at least match what you're presently earning?

The amount of time is going to vary greatly, depending on what type of position it is, the hiring process that was used, the agency involved, and last but not least, the people doing the hiring. I know of one instance where the negotiations and actual job offer took place in less than a week, and another instance where it was drawn out over a month. Of course, the former was a GS-9/11, the latter was a GS-14.

Another item that’s often negotiated are the moving costs; this is why in recent years interviewers tend to favor applicants that live closer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom