Federal Job Offer -- Negotiating Starting Salary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The amount of time is going to vary greatly, depending on what type of position it is, the hiring process that was used, the agency involved, and last but not least, the people doing the hiring. I know of one instance where the negotiations and actual job offer took place in less than a week, and another instance where it was drawn out over a month. Of course, the former was a GS-9/11, the latter was a GS-14.

Another item that’s often negotiated are the moving costs; this is why in recent years interviewers tend to favor applicants that live closer.
PM sent.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New federal employees earn 4 hours each pay period and military service entitles you to 6 hours per pay period. I have six years of Navy service. And that was not the focus of my question.

I answered your question it depends on the announcement and position . Sometimes you might be able to get an additional step.

Reading is fundamental . Good luck.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I worked for the .gov for almost 20 years. If you can't hire in as a GS 13 or above it's not worth it. Maybe if you are working in the BLM or something outside. Working in a .gov office sucks.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy I work with that negotiated his pay didn’t take very long to get his offer, but I believe he was a “direct hire” and didn’t have to deal with a staffing service.

Good luck and keep us posted! I’ve worked for the Navy since 1985 on active duty or as a civilian and have enjoyed almost all of it, lol.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a job with a retirement benefits I would imagine is extremely difficult these days, I tell my grandsons to look for retirement benefits because you'll be there before you realize the years have passed. Federal retirement benefits aren't' as good as they used to be (CRS vs FERS) but still, it's job security and you have a TSP program to invest your money and they more or less match your input. You get holidays off with pay or overtime if you work on a holiday. Choose wisely.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a job with a retirement benefits I would imagine is extremely difficult these days, I tell my grandsons to look for retirement benefits because you'll be there before you realize the years have passed. Federal retirement benefits aren't' as good as they used to be (CRS vs FERS) but still, it's job security and you have a TSP program to invest your money and they more or less match your input. You get holidays off with pay or overtime if you work on a holiday. Choose wisely.

Depends on the agency. Some will not allow you to work OT unless you’re an essential employee, and even then, they may offer you time off in lieu of OT pay. Same with if your evaluation rating calls for a bonus - time off instead of cold, hard cash.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh, okay. Not what I asked.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at 5he scale. GS or WG or SES or? They all have a range. Demonstrate your earnings history across the past five years. Provide copies of all licenses, professional memberships, college and or trade school. Be polite and set nothing in concrete. Let them know you seriously wish to start asap but ask about abilities to meet wages currently earned. Same path as non GOV. If you act like a jerk or set an ultimatum then you will be treated same. Be realistic. Sooooo what job? Location? Service? Or mind my own business which is te best answer most likely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom