Federal Job Offer -- Negotiating Starting Salary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt there will be much wiggle room. Ultimately, if your in it for the money, don’t work for the governmen.
This really depends on the profession. I've made a lot more money as a Commissioned Officer in the USPHS than I would have working in environmental health for a state or county health department.

Granted, I've changed jobs over the years and now work in our interoperability and IT programs.

Can't complain about my salary or retirement.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at 5he scale. GS or WG or SES or? They all have a range. Demonstrate your earnings history across the past five years. Provide copies of all licenses, professional memberships, college and or trade school. Be polite and set nothing in concrete. Let them know you seriously wish to start asap but ask about abilities to meet wages currently earned. Same path as non GOV. If you act like a jerk or set an ultimatum then you will be treated same. Be realistic. Sooooo what job? Location? Service? Or mind my own business which is te best answer most likely.
We'll keep the details on PM.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the job series. Some may have more flexibility than others depending on demand.

In my job series though, I had a new hire being brought in under an expedited hire authority who tried to to negotiate their tentative offer’s salary and they were not hired. Then again at Tinker they have a surplus of applicants and for some job series a 4 year degree and a masters may only get you GS-7 or GS-9. Now many of those are intern programs with a promotion schedule of automatic increases to GS-9, GS-11 and then GS-12 within 3 years so long as you meet all requirements to progress.

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then again at Tinker they have a surplus of applicants and for some job series a 4 year degree and a masters may only get you GS-7 or GS-9.
That was what I gathered from speaking with some ALC people. The grade for my job offer is just fine, but the step offered is way too low. This is also way outside of the OKC area. I already have a house and established residence and can load up some clothes and groceries and go. There won't be any need to hunt up a lease, sell a house, rent a U-Haul or any of the other headaches that go into starting a job in another city. I'm a free agent.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New federal employees earn 4 hours each pay period and military service entitles you to 6 hours per pay period. I have six years of Navy service. And that was not the focus of my question.
You can negotiate the amount of leave you get per pay period. My boss just retired from the Commissioned Corps and came back as a civilian. He was able to get 8 hours.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can negotiate the amount of leave you get per pay period. My boss just retired from the Commissioned Corps and came back as a civilian. He was able to get 8 hours.

Did he negotiate that, or because of his combined years of service. Takes 15 years of civilian and/or military service to get the 8 hours on the civilian side. Unless you’re SES, which I thinks gets 8 hrs from the get go.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did he negotiate that, or because of his combined years of service. Takes 15 years of civilian and/or military service to get the 8 hours on the civilian side. Unless you’re SES, which I thinks gets 8 hrs from the get go.
Others have told me they negotiated it, but he may have gotten by default because he had sufficient time.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting and good to know. I have not heard of anyone being able to negotiate that before. Will keep that in my pocket for the future.
I'm retiring May 1 with 28 years as a Commissioned Officer . . . hoping to come back as a civilian shortly after. I'll let you know if I have to negotiate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom