Federal Judge Rules Against Gun Ban For Marijuana Users

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is apparently so much money in the pot business. I'm shocked lobbyists have not greased the right palms and gotten it legalized at federal level.
But I will look in a murky crystal ball and predict this much:
If it does get legalized, then the federal government will start regulating pot in the name of public safety (like the alcohol industry is) and the business will be dominated by a couple of big industry players that don't like competition.
There's likely already a lot of greased palms at he Federal level. Seems like legalizing it would do great things, but you have to realize how many departments would get funding cut at every level and the cartels would lose a source of revenue. I'm not sure our .gov is willing to put our poor southern neighbors out of work until we can get them all here.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me like the founding fathers that wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights said….shall NOT be infringed. I could be wrong about that, but it’s pretty clear in my estimation.

-They didn’t say if you’re a felon, you cannot own a gun.
-They didn’t say if you like to take drugs/alcohol, you cannot own a gun
-They didn’t say only the military/police can have guns
-They didn’t say if you have a TRO, then you cannot have a gun
-They didn’t say red flag laws are legal and acceptable

So many things that they didn’t say, so…
Why have We the People been accepting limitations on our God-given Rights?!?

Let’s stop accepting those limitations!
Amen, Brother Glock!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me like the founding fathers that wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights said….shall NOT be infringed. I could be wrong about that, but it’s pretty clear in my estimation.

-They didn’t say if you’re a felon, you cannot own a gun.
-They didn’t say if you like to take drugs/alcohol, you cannot own a gun
-They didn’t say only the military/police can have guns
-They didn’t say if you have a TRO, then you cannot have a gun
-They didn’t say red flag laws are legal and acceptable

So many things that they didn’t say, so…
Why have We the People been accepting limitations on our God-given Rights?!?

Let’s stop accepting those limitations!

Yeah...they did in certain cases though I'm not sure they used the term "felon" to describe the person prohibited. There is historical precedent all the way back to colonial America for prohibiting arms ownership for some people considered violent or dangerous at the time. Even during the time when the Constitution and BoR were being debated there was lots of language that indicated certain violent people should be prohibited. Then again, many of the people who would've been prohibited due to their dangerous behavior or violent offense were often executed. Of course, there was also debate about restoring rights to possess firearms once the person could prove he was no longer violent. So, I would agree with you that certain felons should arguably have their rights restored when their punishment is concluded.

ETA: This is a great piece that talks about early efforts at "gun control".

https://scholarship.law.uwyo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1434&context=wlr

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...they did in certain cases though I'm not sure they used the term "felon" to describe the person prohibited. There is historical precedent all the way back to colonial America for prohibiting arms ownership for some people considered violent or dangerous at the time. Even during the time when the Constitution and BoR were being debated there was lots of language that indicated certain violent people should be prohibited. Then again, many of the people who would've been prohibited due to their dangerous behavior or violent offense were often executed. Of course, there was also debate about restoring rights to possess firearms once the person could prove he was no longer violent. So, I would agree with you that certain felons should arguably have their rights restored when their punishment is concluded.

ETA: This is a great piece that talks about early efforts at "gun control".

https://scholarship.law.uwyo.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1434&context=wlr

Yes, because they government has stopped so many people committed to conducting violent acts. Just like they’ve stopped the flow of drugs.
We treat felons like fourth class citizens in this country. Once a person has served their time, they should have all rights restored like a normal person.

Slight thread drift: Now, are you advocating we should re-open the expressway to the death penalty? Because, if so, I can get behind killing killers with very limited exceptions. Do I WANT states killing people? No, not really. But, to live in a civilized society, it may be necessary to remove certain people from that element in order to preserve the peace from time to time. I look at it like a “necessary evil”. It does cut both ways though, so one must be thorough and careful in this matter, as to not ensure “innocents”.
Some people call it “street justice” but I do wish more citizens would stand up and defend themselves. If a criminal thought that 50% of their victims would fight back and shoot them vs the reality of maybe only 1-2% that it is now, then perhaps they would rethink their occupation?

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, because they government has stopped so many people committed to conducting violent acts. Just like they’ve stopped the flow of drugs.
We treat felons like fourth class citizens in this country. Once a person has served their time, they should have all rights restored like a normal person.

Slight thread drift: Now, are you advocating we should re-open the expressway to the death penalty? Because, if so, I can get behind killing killers with very limited exceptions. Do I WANT states killing people? No, not really. But, to live in a civilized society, it may be necessary to remove certain people from that element in order to preserve the peace from time to time. I look at it like a “necessary evil”. It does cut both ways though, so one must be thorough and careful in this matter, as to not ensure “innocents”.
Some people call it “street justice” but I do wish more citizens would stand up and defend themselves. If a criminal thought that 50% of their victims would fight back and shoot them vs the reality of maybe only 1-2% that it is now, then perhaps they would rethink their occupation?
The percentage of victims fighting back, and yes, even killing their attackers would in all probability increase remarkably if our courts would reduce their prosecution rate for those trying to defend themselves, as well as wrongfully maintaining an attitude that the attacker in most cases was the 'victim', rather than the person being attacked.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem at all with the death penalty. Some argue it's not a deterrent. I agree with that. It's not meant to be a deterrent...it's meant to be punishment. And there is a 0% recidivism rate among those that have been punished in this way. I also agree that we would likely live in a much nicer society if criminals feared the law-abiding citizens. And that includes the criminals in our government.

I wasn't arguing with what you said... Just pointing out that people wanting gun control have been around as long as guns have been around. And keeping guns from criminals has been around that long, too.

Bob White

Marksman
Reaction score
I don't have a problem at all with the death penalty. Some argue it's not a deterrent. I agree with that. It's not meant to be a deterrent...it's meant to be punishment. And there is a 0% recidivism rate among those that have been punished in this way. I also agree that we would likely live in a much nicer society if criminals feared the law-abiding citizens. And that includes the criminals in our government.

I wasn't arguing with what you said... Just pointing out that people wanting gun control have been around as long as guns have been around. And keeping guns from criminals has been around that long, too.
I vaguely recall learning in a college class many years ago that with regard to crimes and punishment, there are two types of deterrence: general deterrence and specific deterrence. The death penalty being a specific deterrence. Because as you stated, once you’re dead you’re deterred from future crime. Your “rambunctiousness and misdemeanoring is behind you” as the great Pappy O’daniel said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom