Feedback wanted mosin nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of the rifle

• Total voters

Troy Boerner

Marksman
Reaction score
I haven't posted here very much but I had my mosin looked at and I was advised it should operate pretty good. Me and a friend took it to the gun range that had some gongs at 200 yards and with just the plain iron sights I was able to hit the gong 2/5 times. My friend was at a gun show and happened to notice they had a replica mosin nagant sniper rifle scope so I told him to go ahead and get it for me. So after getting it mounted we went back to the range and I was able to hit the gong four out of five times using some modern monarch steelcase ammo. He had me shoot six rounds with some brass casing he had and he said he was going to make me some sniper ammo but I don't know exactly what that means. The gong at 200 yards is a 1 ft diameter gone so I feel pretty good about the accuracy of this gun for what it is I'm fully aware modern rifles can shoot much more accurate at further distances but what are you guys think for using just standard off-the-shelf ammunition being able to hit a 12-in gong at 200 yd 4 out 5 shots. I think it's pretty good but I would like some feedback on what y'all think

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't posted here very much but I had my mosin looked at and I was advised it should operate pretty good. Me and a friend took it to the gun range that had some gongs at 200 yards and with just the plain iron sights I was able to hit the gong 2/5 times. My friend was at a gun show and happened to notice they had a replica mosin nagant sniper rifle scope so I told him to go ahead and get it for me. So after getting it mounted we went back to the range and I was able to hit the gong four out of five times using some modern monarch steelcase ammo. He had me shoot six rounds with some brass casing he had and he said he was going to make me some sniper ammo but I don't know exactly what that means. The gong at 200 yards is a 1 ft diameter gone so I feel pretty good about the accuracy of this gun for what it is I'm fully aware modern rifles can shoot much more accurate at further distances but what are you guys think for using just standard off-the-shelf ammunition being able to hit a 12-in gong at 200 yd 4 out 5 shots. I think it's pretty good but I would like some feedback on what y'all think
I theory “sniper” match grade ammo should be kept in about a 2” group at that distance of 200. Match grade ammo should be less than MOA. Thing is your Mossin. Is it capable of it. Others with reloading experience can chirp in.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The nagant is a design first issued before ww1, and most of the decades they were issued corrosive ammo was in use. Because of this bore condition varies greatly. You might get an accurate one, or you may get one that shoots patterns, not groups.. but for a long time they were the least expensive surplus rifle available, and ammo was cheap.. not the smoothest/fastest bolt action, and not the best safety lever design. I have known folks that bought one cheap, and used it year after year to kill deer, or as the “ spare rifle” to keep at the cabin. I once had a US made one i should have kept

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say you got a decent rifle. Try other brands of ammo, that monarch stuff is complete garbage, I wont buy it. I bet youll have better results.

Latest posts

Top Bottom