Feedback wanted mosin nagant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of the rifle

• Total voters

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't posted here very much but I had my mosin looked at and I was advised it should operate pretty good. Me and a friend took it to the gun range that had some gongs at 200 yards and with just the plain iron sights I was able to hit the gong 2/5 times. My friend was at a gun show and happened to notice they had a replica mosin nagant sniper rifle scope so I told him to go ahead and get it for me. So after getting it mounted we went back to the range and I was able to hit the gong four out of five times using some modern monarch steelcase ammo. He had me shoot six rounds with some brass casing he had and he said he was going to make me some sniper ammo but I don't know exactly what that means. The gong at 200 yards is a 1 ft diameter gone so I feel pretty good about the accuracy of this gun for what it is I'm fully aware modern rifles can shoot much more accurate at further distances but what are you guys think for using just standard off-the-shelf ammunition being able to hit a 12-in gong at 200 yd 4 out 5 shots. I think it's pretty good but I would like some feedback on what y'all think
It sounds to me that you got a decent Mosin. When this ammo shortage BS ends one of these days, you should be able to get some decent ammo. In the meantime get anything you can shoot, and get to the range.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any suggestions on another ammo to look at ... It seems my options are the old corrosive or the modern monarch stuff

It sounds to me that you got a decent Mosin. When this ammo shortage BS ends one of these days, you should be able to get some decent ammo. In the meantime get anything you can shoot, and get to the range.

pretty much what Dennis said. Shoot whatever you can get your hands on for the time being. I suggest keeping an eye out for privi partisan ammo, it’s great stuff. Also make sure you save the brass for it. They have fantastic brass, and I bet you could sell them for a few pennies or give them to someone who reloads. Sellier and Bellot, Winchester, Barnaul, and Tula all make good factory loads for your caliber as well.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds like your rifle is a good one. don't expect to make a match rifle out of it unless you plan to shoot a vintage rifle match against similar rifles. don't be afraid of surplus ammunition but just clean it appropriately after shooting. the 7.62x54r is really a good round enjoy

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
most of the surplus is steel core but not really armor piercing. but be advised anyway to learn the color code for the different ammunition. yellow tipped is usually heavy ball lead core and silver tipped is LPS steel core.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered some PPU match ammo from SGAmmo. I’ve been happy with it.
Took the Finn 39 out to 300 on a standard military 300 yd target. The Finn has a Sako barrel but was able to get all 10 shots in the 19 inch target. It would have been better had I not questioned my hold position. That was with the cheap Monarch from academy. I must have got a good batch because I couldn’t duplicate it again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom