Feeder light recommendations for night time hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hogs are back on my cameras at my brother's place and he's considering submitting a night time hunting application . . .

What light or lights would those of you who have hunted hogs at night would you recommend?

Looking for something to attach to a feeder or nearby trees, etc.

Something that can be charged via solar so we aren't going through batteries.

I'm strongly considering this Moultrie light . . .

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That one will certainly be bright, but hogs can be finicky when it comes to too much light, even green. It all depends on how far away you'll be from the light and the setup of the weapon (light on the weapon, thermal, etc). I've heard good things about this one Wildgame Innovations Moonshine Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WV4D0IW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pDDhEbXEF3VW6

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend a thermal weapons sight. Matter of fact, depending on where you are located in the state, I would happily bring my two thermal rigs over and we could both shoot.

I've got two complete thermal set ups. One on a 6.8 spc AR15 and one on a ruger mini-30. Plus I've got a Gen3 PVS-14 (night vision monocular) with corresponding eotech NV sight set up on a standard AR. Its not as nice as the thermal rigs but still useable.

Ill make that offer to anyone on this forum. If I have time to come down. I'm always up for slinging lead at hogs!

oneshot

Living the good life
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Before I got into night vision I would go to Walmart and buy some of the solar powered landscape lights and hang them from the trees. I would buy the spot light kind so you could adjust where the beam hit.
Pigs would get use to the light and come on in.

Be happy to bring the night vision out and help you out with that

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the lights will work for a short time. I mean the hogs learn fast and that is why the lights will only work for a short time. Many of the advertisement videos are made on feeders inside a high fence that have high numbers of game and animals have a great desire to eat at the feeders because of low native forage.

Look into some of the digital night vision scopes available and the pricing has come down significantly from 7 years ago when I got into the game. You can get into a quality digital night vision scope for around $500 for the Sightmark Wraith.

Being able to see/hunt them in low or no light anywhere on your property without alerting them is a game changer. (Use wind to your advantage)

I have thermal, NV rigs and cellular operated hog trap for full all out hog control and extend the offer to help out as well.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lights are problematic. If you go the light route, make it as dim as possible and still see your aiming device, and bait the area heavily! Corn, coolade fruit flavors donuts bread, penut oil etc. Once you shoot them in one place they will move to another....they are smart! N.V. is a better way to go, but you can use the dim light untill they catch on. Here is from last night.

Attachments

• KIMG0757.JPG
    KIMG0757.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 129

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lights are problematic. If you go the light route, make it as dim as possible and still see your aiming device, and bait the area heavily! Corn, coolade fruit flavors donuts bread, penut oil etc. Once you shoot them in one place they will move to another....they are smart! N.V. is a better way to go, but you can use the dim light untill they catch on. Here is from last night.

Something like an ATN x-sight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I use a head mount N.O.D. and a I.R. capable red dot sight. I Ifind it is about the best set up. That way you just shoulder your rifle like usual put dot on propper place and sausage! It allows for scanning, walking, and swingling on running pigs. The refresh time of the low end digitals/thermals is way too long, and unless the pig is absolutely still it becomes a real wheres Waldo situation. By real dim light I mean a small L.E.D. light you hang in the tree or feeder that bearly allows you to see the resolution of what you are shooting. I used a simple L.E.D. flood I got off Amazon hooked up to a 9 volt battery. Fits in a pocket costs about $7 total and last forever.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I use a head mount N.O.D. and a I.R. capable red dot sight. I Ifind it is about the best set up. That way you just shoulder your rifle like usual put dot on propper place and sausage! It allows for scanning, walking, and swingling on running pigs. The refresh time of the low end digitals/thermals is way too long, and unless the pig is absolutely still it becomes a real wheres Waldo situation. By real dim light I mean a small L.E.D. light you hang in the tree or feeder that bearly allows you to see the resolution of what you are shooting. I used a simple L.E.D. flood I got off Amazon hooked up to a 9 volt battery. Fits in a pocket costs about $7 total and last forever.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom