Feeder questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience is about the same as Dennis’s. I remember those old 35 mm cams. You’d have to take the film in to get it developed, wait a day or pay extra for the fast developing. Pretty primitive by today’s standards.
Primitive is an understatement. My parents gave my brother and I 35mm game cameras for Christmas in the early 90’s, and we were literally going to 1 hr photo almost daily to get 5 pictures developed just to see what was there. At the time, it seemed very worthwhile...:scratch:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Feeders, food plots, cameras, deer stands, pfft!

We would just climb a tree near a trail or a field the deer visited and sit on a limb waiting for a chance at a shot.

The fancy guys would nail some 2x4s to the tree trunk for a climbing ladder.

Tree bark pattern etched into you backside, I remember that and still trying to forget it lol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feeders, food plots, cameras, deer stands, pfft!

We would just climb a tree near a trail or a field the deer visited and sit on a limb waiting for a chance at a shot.

The fancy guys would nail some 2x4s to the tree trunk for a climbing ladder.
That's the way I started deer hunting. Then they came out with screw in steps to get to that limb. Then they came out with plastic seats to strap to the limb you just climbed up to with the screw in steps.
Then garage sale extension ladders seemed much more easy to climb than screw in steps.
The evolution of deer hunting has been an interesting journey. Now I sit in an elevated box blind in a padded office chair with a propane heater keeping me warm. Paid my dues over the last 40 years.
More into the hunt than the kill now.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the way I started deer hunting. Then they came out with screw in steps to get to that limb. Then they came out with plastic seats to strap to the limb you just climbed up to with the screw in steps.
Then garage sale extension ladders seemed much more easy to climb than screw in steps.
The evolution of deer hunting has been an interesting journey. Now I sit in an elevated box blind in a padded office chair with a propane heater keeping me warm. Paid my dues over the last 40 years.
More into the hunt than the kill now.

When I was a kid, my dad made fun of me because I took one of those old side entry school desks and hoisted it up high in a tree and across a couple parallel limbs and bailing wired it down. About a half dozen 2X4 steps nailed into the tree trunk to get into it and I was good to go. Most comfortable stand I ever had at the time. When I went off to college, guess where Dad started sitting.

I should go trekking that SE OK mountainside sometime and see if that thing is still up in that tree. It has been 30 years ago since I last saw it, but I bet the remnants are still in that tree.

Latest posts

Top Bottom