Feeder questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a place @ the lease that i feed by just pouring out corn, and rice bran, we also have several feeders on the lease. But what do you think about putting up a feeder this late in season???Think it would make the leery and stop the more mature buck from visiting?? i know it would save me money, as they are wiping out corn if dumped 100#+ per week, and 50# Rice bran maybe last 5 days.

I have felt over the years that some older mature bucks do not like coming to the corn tree as much as they will when it is poured on the ground. I know there is always the exception. We have a big mature buck that seems to be at the feeders lots in august, and September, but come october or November don't see them hardly ever at feeders and when you do they are in the background. I know some of yall (retrieverman, dennis, etc) all seem to have big mature deer at your feeders all year it seems.
What are your thoughts on feeders and specifically putting out out late.

Last edited:

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You answered your own question there. Feeders are good in some situations and not in others. Would you rather drive all the way across town to get a candy bar or eat a buffet? In my experience I pile it up or spread it and consistently produce good deer. It does let them be more nocturnal that way but you can catch them slipping when conditions are right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Look thru the trail cam thread and look at some of the size and ages of bucks that walk up and eat out of gravity feeders and stand under throw feeders. I don't think it matters in the end. I do wonder about multiple feeders in an area and giving them an option. I would want all the local population coming to one feeder.....at my stand lol. Murphy's law says the giant buck will go to the feeder where you are not lol.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look thru the trail cam thread and look at some of the size and ages of bucks that walk up and eat out of gravity feeders and stand under throw feeders. I don't think it matters in the end. I do wonder about multiple feeders in an area and giving them an option. I would want all the local population coming to one feeder.....at my stand lol. Murphy's law says the giant buck will go to the feeder where you are not lol.

Probably no different. My point is a feeder versus on the ground. My opinion is a mature deer will come to a pile or spreading way more easily than a feeder. If it’s in a food plot or feed field it’s totally different.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You answered your own question there. Feeders are good in some situations and not in others. Would you rather drive all the way across town to get a candy bar or eat a buffet? In my experience I pile it up or spread it and consistently produce good deer. It does let them be more nocturnal that way but you can catch them slipping when conditions are right.

I think i agree.... But like okie, dennis, retrieverman, and many others seem to have big old mature deer standing under feeders.
But in my experience, i feel like they prefer and feel more comfortable poured on the ground. But with all the action of having to go in and pour on the ground once or twice a week may cause more damage than a feeder standing there.

This lease is about 400 acres, and we have 5 feeders spread from one side to another. This lease is a mile wide. Sometimes i think the same thing, is we hurt our-self with so many feeders, but it gives options for wind, & pressure...etc too. And some places some of the bucks just dont go and it is a doe haven (for now) what about putting out a feeder this late???

Probably no different. My point is a feeder versus on the ground. My opinion is a mature deer will come to a pile or spreading way more easily than a feeder. If it’s in a food plot or feed field it’s totally different.

I like the pile, cause it keeps me more mobile, but sure gets expensive. How much do you put at your pile at once?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a place @ the lease that i feed by just pouring out corn, and rice bran, we also have several feeders on the lease. But what do you think about putting up a feeder this late in season???Think it would make the leery and stop the more mature buck from visiting?? i know it would save me money, as they are wiping out corn if dumped 100#+ per week, and 50# Rice bran maybe last 5 days.

I have felt over the years that some older mature bucks do not like coming to the corn tree as much as they will when it is poured on the ground. I know there is always the exception. We have a big mature buck that seems to be at the feeders lots in august, and September, but come october or November don't see them hardly ever at feeders and when you do they are in the background. I know some of yall (retrieverman, dennis, etc) all seem to have big mature deer at your feeders all year it seems.
What are your thoughts on feeders and specifically putting out out late.

LMAO. I'm going through 300# every 5 days. It's in a gravity feeder too. Big bucks usually show up at night til the rut. That's why they're big. As far as corn on the ground. Spread out thin is okay as long as they eat it quickly. But if it gets wet or lays on a frosted ground, it can grow mold (developing aflatoxin) and it's not good for the herd.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on deer numbers at the place. My nw Oklahoma place I’ll put 8 bags a week out in one spot. All the deer are on me instead of going to my neighbors feeders that are throwing 3-5 pounds a day. Eastern Oklahoma I do 4 bags a week. It does add up $ wise. But I’m not a meat hunter and can pay to play. Sw Oklahoma I run feeders inside cattle panels. Pigs will take down any fence if you dump it on the ground. Plus it’s 2 hours down there so feeders are a must. I’m also mainly a bow hunter. If I was just a primitive and rifle hunter like most people, I would just run feeders.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on deer numbers at the place. My nw Oklahoma place I’ll put 8 bags a week out in one spot. All the deer are on me instead of going to my neighbors feeders that are throwing 3-5 pounds a day. Eastern Oklahoma I do 4 bags a week. It does add up $ wise. But I’m not a meat hunter and can pay to play. Sw Oklahoma I run feeders inside cattle panels. Pigs will take down any fence if you dump it on the ground. Plus it’s 2 hours down there so feeders are a must. I’m also mainly a bow hunter. If I was just a primitive and rifle hunter like most people, I would just run feeders.

Thanks,

Why would be archery change the feeder tactic vs rifle?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got two feeders out (one throw and one gravity)for the first time ever this year, 2.5 miles apart. I have 4 piles, one pile on four properties. Coons eat a bunch whether from a feeder or pile. Everyone's area will have variables that make feeders more or less effective than piles imo. I'm covered by ag except where the feeders are and I actually get better buck activity during daylight hours on the feeders than the piles so far this year. If I think back to the biggest bucks that I know of taken by myself or friends, all but one was near a feeder. Whether they were coming to eat or cruise down wind of the feeder area for doe activity, they were still shot from a stand with the feeder nearby. The number of people hunting makes a difference too, I'm solo unless I have the kids with me, so it would be difficult with 3 guys on a lease who each want to sit next to a feeder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom