Feeding Time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long before daylight, or after daylight, and before dark are you feeding if you run a feeder?

I run my feeder for 8 seconds at approx 20 mins before sun-up in the morning and for 8 seconds, 1 hour before sunset in the evening.

Curious what the rest of you are doing. This was my first year hunting and I blanked. I am going to head out tomorrow morning for the last day of rifle season, buck only, and see if I can get lucky. I am still learning what I should and shouldn't be doing and would like to hear what the rest of you do. I'm hunting down near Cleveland, TX but deer are deer and I haven't found a forum I like better than OK shooters that is more local to me where I live now that I've moved.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long before daylight, or after daylight, and before dark are you feeding if you run a feeder?

I run my feeder for 8 seconds at approx 20 mins before sun-up in the morning and for 8 seconds, 1 hour before sunset in the evening.

Curious what the rest of you are doing. This was my first year hunting and I blanked. I am going to head out tomorrow morning for the last day of rifle season, buck only, and see if I can get lucky. I am still learning what I should and shouldn't be doing and would like to hear what the rest of you do. I'm hunting down near Cleveland, TX but deer are deer and I haven't found a forum I like better than OK shooters that is more local to me where I live now that I've moved.
Still rifle season in Texas for bucks? Does only for the holiday season in Ok.
I set my feeder for 1/2 hour after legal shooting light, and an hour before the end of the days legal time.
I get in there an hour before daylight, and mid afternoon to hunt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started years ago setting my feeders to go off a 7am and in the evening 6:30 during October and 5:00 after the time change. Right or wrong, that’s what I do, and I’ve killed a bunch of deer using that schedule.

I’ve seem how fast deer (or pigs in TX) can clean up the corn a feeder throws, so I really believe you are “wasting” corn by feeding before daylight.

I completely agree that OK Shooters is hands down the best hunting forum I’ve ever been on, but if you want a more local board, TX Bowhunter is pretty decent.

I’m a couple hours up the road from you in Nacogdoches but own land in OK too.

Last edited:

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hour after daylight and hour before dark. But I never hunt over that feeder so... I think the more important thing is that you use it year round. You can cut the time back during non hunting times of the year but its my opinion that they need to use it as a year round food source.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/2 hour after daylight and a couple hours before dark.

The reason I schedule so early in the evening is because of pigs. That usually gives the deer time to beat the pigs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom