Feel Good Cop Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A personal feel good Cop story.

Back many moons ago I worked on a tie gang for Missouri Pacific Railroad. There 30 of us young guys that were full of piss and vinegar and pretty rowdy.

This is about the time we were working out of Centralia, Kansas and staying in bunk cars on a siding. We would get full of beer after work and drag race through town; squealing tires and such. We were pretty much being obnoxious. Young guys just feeling our oats.

The town of Centralia had one cop in town named Ernie. For a patrol car he had a Chevy II Nova with a six banger engine. He couldn’t out run most of our cars and pickups. Ernie reminded me of Barney Fife. He was built like Barney Fife and pretty laid back.

One evening after work I went through town squealing tires and such and Ernie lit up his lights and siren and came after me. I beat it to the bunk cars and went in trying to pretend he might decide to let it go. Ernie came to the bunk cars and yelled out my name and told me to meet him up at the corner and that he knew I was in there.

I go up to the corner and meet with Ernie and he explains to me he really didn’t want to write me a ticket, but had to because the town’s people were fed up with us hot rodding through town and if he didn’t start writing tickets they would fire him. I knew I deserved a ticket and there were no hard feelings on my part and we shook hands after he wrote the ticket.

Now for the rest of the story!

Four years later I had gone to work for a railroad construction company and just finished up a project at a Tamko Shingle factory in Phillipsburg, Kansas and was driving back my to my home town of Atchison, Kansas in a company pickup in the wee hours of the morning and running out of gas. There was not a open gas station between Phillipsburg and Centralia. I was running on fumes when I pulled into Centralia and low and behold there was Ernie in his Nova patrol car at the same corner he had wrote me a ticket four years earlier.

So I pull alongside Ernie and asked him if he remembered me. He did! I explained my predicament and he told me to follow him. He took me to the County Barn and filled my company pickup with gas and refused payment. I think the gas he gave me was worth more than the ticket he had written me.

Ernie is just one of the good cops I have dealt with throughout my life. I know there are some bad cops, but I think most are the straight shooting type. I have only dealt one jerk of a cop in my life and he didn’t last long on the Guthrie Police Department. The other cops pretty much ran him off.

That’s my story and I’m stick’n to it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom