Fees to park at OK. state parks Happens TODAY!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Little Sahara. It was a blast during college at Alva. I never knew it was so popular and made a profit. Do they still have the camels?
No, the camels went away in the 80's I think it was. Some tree hugger sued the state saying the loud noises from the sand buggies was harming the hearing of the camels and causing them great stress. They were relocated to a zoo somewhere.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found out more information.
This fee will allow you to put up to 3 license plate numbers into the system.
Yes you put your vehicle plate number in.
You do not get any paper to stick in the window..The park ranger or officers will check plate numbers and give you a fine if you are not eligible to park.

The fee for now is $20 and after 24 hours it doubles to 40 if you did not pay it. And it keeps getting higher and to a point they will tow the vehicle.
If you are eligible for exemption due to age or military status you must show up at a park office in person so you can show documentation that you are exempt.
They must manually input the information into the computer.

It is a credit or debit card deal only ..NO cash.I do not care for that as I am the cash guy.

Something else is that Oklahoma Legislators have cut the funding to state parks by 49% since 2011.
Park manager at Thunderbird told me that.
She also said the bathrooms are the first things to have that money poured into for repairs and updates.

She also told me we are 1 of 7 states that did not charge these fees and called different states and asked how they were doing it and what works and what does not work.

Texas has put taxes on sporting goods recently to fund parks and recreation departments.

Denver Corner boat ramp is exempt of fees.
She said she was able to pick 1 boat ramp on the lake that would be exempt and would allow those that could not afford the fees to still use the lake and boat ramp.
They are installing signs to inform everyone of the fees at the park.

$60 For a year and that is 365 days not something ending on last day of December. That is good to know.

I have used 3 different vehicles this year to haul my boat.
If you have 2 of your vehicles at the parks at the same time on the same pass one will be ticketed.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thunderbird fee schedule per their website:

upload_2020-6-20_10-8-53.png

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the deal... I know fees aren't fun. But government doesn't have money. It only spends what it collects from its citizens.

It costs money to operate and maintain parks, boat ramps, etc.

So... either the people with boats, RV's, etc. who use the facilities pay for them in the cost of fees, or everyone, whether they use them or not, pays the cost in the form of taxes.

It's probably a combination of both, and I'm okay with some of both. But complaining about fees suggests you think that everyone else should pay for your recreation. Maybe I'm missing some alternatives?

Latest posts

Top Bottom