Feral Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"A comparable Oklahoma statute did not, however, protect a man convicted of cruelty for shooting three hunting dogs as they chased a deer. He had left the dogs, wounded but still alive, on someone else's land. The law justified killing a dog that was chasing livestock, but not one chasing wildlife, the court ruled. The defendant 'knew that he had hit the dogs and he was willing to let them drag themselves off and suffer and die,' said the court. 'The trial court felt that this was cruelty to animals, and we can but agree.' (Laner v. State, 381 P.2d 905 (Okla. 1963).)"

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/dog-book/chapter13-3.html

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't enjoy it either, but the 2 farmers whose property I've hunted have told me to shoot dogs on sight. Granted they're both cattle farmers.

Don't call em cattle farmers. They are ranchers.
Trust me, there is a difference and sometimes an animosity between ranchers and sod busters. Trust me on this. lol.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was obviously several years ago, but the landowner where I used to hunt told me "there are two pits running around here terrorizing the neighborhood. You see them you shoot them on sight.". This picture showed up less than a week later but that was the only evidence I ever saw of them.
5764fb41ae85e8852934e61829f11923.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't call em cattle farmers. They are ranchers.
Trust me, there is a difference and sometimes an animosity between ranchers and sod busters. Trust me on this. lol.
Huh. Must be a local/demographic thing. Or the 1800s... :D

I had a mechanic/welding shop for several years, and most of my customers were both farmers AND ranchers (a couple also raised hogs). I don't remember any that were strictly cattlemen (lol, or strictly "sodbusters"), though I'm sure there are some of each scattered around. Just never heard of any animosity between them around here.

AFAIK, most all wheat/barley/rye farmers run cattle on it thru winter and spring. And sometimes (depending on market prices) it's more profitable to feed grain to livestock rather than sell it directly.

Takes all kinds I guess. :drunk2:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, south Texas is much the same, as is probably any low rainfall area. We actually have rain and trees around here. :D

Still don't understand any reason for animosity between them these days though. It's not like farmers are taking over the free range anymore. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom