Fiber Optic Front Sights - Red or Green?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red til you take it for granted and get lazy on focusing. Then green til you get lazy. Then red.
Rinse lather repeat

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those of us that are struggling with focusing, I'm kind of liking the green twin bars in the rear with the red in the front. I acquired a kel tec PMR-30 from a member here with those sights and it's pretty impressive how quick the front sight comes to the eye.
All that being said I have a USPSA limited gun with Dawson adjustable sights on the rear and fiber on the front sight.
I've since bought some of the fiber in red and green and tried different scenarios on the front sight.
You cut it to a little longer than the sight and use a lighter to "bell" out the ends for two reasons. To keep it from creeping out and to increase the sight diameter. I tried the big mushroom that should have really brought it to the eye, but it didn't work. Really bright, but didn't work well. Went back to just enough mushroom to keep it in the sight making it a fine sight, and it was much better.
Red works better in the daylight and the green works better in low light.
I'd be more than happy to meet and play with your sights if you want. It's not a big deal. If you don't like the fiber, cut it off and put a new piece in with about a 10 minute wait time. ( if I have the right size)
If I don't have the right size, the fiber is really cheap to get a 3' length.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have both red and green fiber optic front sights, on different guns. The green stands out a little better indoors, makes it easier to pick up the front sight for me.

Something tells me that the human eye sees the color green easier, or maybe faster, than the color red too. I also like a plain black rear sight with a fiber optic up front. And I dig the bigger diameter on the fiber too. Sure, it’s not designed for anything over 15 yds or so, but for purposes of self defense all up in your space, that big fat green dot works fine.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Green is supposed to be easier to pick up in daylight. I think both would be a vast improvement over a regular post or bead....and for the minimum cost, get 'em both and see what works best for ya!

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning to switch out the sights on my new Taurus G2c from the tiny white dot ones (the gun's worst feature, I think) to fiber optic sights. One set I'm looking at comes with red, green, and orange rods. It may be fun seeing which combination is easiest on these old eyes.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I settled on green for my Dawson sights. They come with both for a reason. I spent about half a day trying to decide in every kind of lighting I could set up. I wanted my 19 and 34 to have the exact same setup. Everyone's eyes are different so the only way to figure it out is trial and error.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While on the subject, my absolute FAVORITE sights on my guns are the "Siglite" on my P238 Equinox with a tritium vial behind the fiber optic. Paired together, they are awesome in day, night and everywhere inbetween.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While on the subject, my absolute FAVORITE sights on my guns are the "Siglite" on my P238 Equinox with a tritium vial behind the fiber optic. Paired together, they are awesome in day, night and everywhere inbetween.

I love that setup, my P226 Tacops is set up that way and has won role as my #1 bedside pistol. It came from the factory with green fiber and tritium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom