"Field expedient repair" of a Stevens Model 86C.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate hot water heater issue, I was forced to yank a bunch of stuff out of one of my gun cabinets. Included in these was my late father-in-law's old truck gun, a battered, nondescript Stevens Model 86C with a bent front sight that doesn't do anything but shoot exactly where it is aimed. While I had it out, I noticed that the safety wasn't working: the gun would "fire" with the safety in the "SAFE ->" position. It took just a moment to remove the action from the stock and just a moment longer to see the trigger pin was missing. Nope. Couldn't find it. What I did have was a Lionel O-27 track pin that is almost the right diameter. A few passes with a hacksaw shortened it to the appropriate length, and now the safety works fine! I'll get the right size pin soon, because the trigger is a little wobbly, but as long as I'm careful when taking the action out of the stock, we should be fine!
8548599739dbd5a10fb6145f4b50ed74.jpg
7f56fda8d37fc3820482edb7c5c18a55.jpg
d1da73e3cd1650b28d0598fa0a0bd5f6.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe it or not,
But a friends mom had one of those cheap "Raven" wallet size 25 auto pistols that the safety lever wouldn't slide or engage all the way to 'safe'. I looked at it some & learned that the actual safety lever was not lining up properly (or was becoming mis-aligned with the notch it was supposed to slide in.
I fixed it by taping a piece of popsicle stick on the inside of the grip, thereby applying a slight amount of pressure to the safety bar.
It worked great after that, even though I still didn't want to shoot it,
It made her happy that the safety could be engaged.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be able to get a roll pin from ace hardware that would work.

A roll pin it a type of spring pin. It would want to grab either the trigger or the receiver and since it is a moving joint it will likely cause the holes to widen over time. I would stay with a solid pin.
I have replaced many lost/damaged pins with the appropriate sized nail cut and filed to length.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate hot water heater issue, I was forced to yank a bunch of stuff out of one of my gun cabinets. Included in these was my late father-in-law's old truck gun, a battered, nondescript Stevens Model 86C with a bent front sight that doesn't do anything but shoot exactly where it is aimed. While I had it out, I noticed that the safety wasn't working: the gun would "fire" with the safety in the "SAFE ->" position. It took just a moment to remove the action from the stock and just a moment longer to see the trigger pin was missing. Nope. Couldn't find it. What I did have was a Lionel O-27 track pin that is almost the right diameter. A few passes with a hacksaw shortened it to the appropriate length, and now the safety works fine! I'll get the right size pin soon, because the trigger is a little wobbly, but as long as I'm careful when taking the action out of the stock, we should be fine!
8548599739dbd5a10fb6145f4b50ed74.jpg
7f56fda8d37fc3820482edb7c5c18a55.jpg
d1da73e3cd1650b28d0598fa0a0bd5f6.jpg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

FYI, I yet to find one of these that doesn't have a wobbley trigger.
It's is good to see that you got it fixed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom