Field Grade Garands...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 2017, I think I'm finally going to get off my butt and order an M1 Garand from the CMP. I'm currently working on providing the eligibility requirements. Just wondering if the field grades they have now are worth it or not. I've never had one and know very little about them, but have wanted one for some time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno, but I have a service grade that basically pristine. It's luck of the draw but you'll get a perfectly serviceable and safe to shoot rifle. Their armorers are top shelf and don't let any crap go out the door.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dunno, but I have a service grade that basically pristine. It's luck of the draw but you'll get a perfectly serviceable and safe to shoot rifle. Their armorers are top shelf and don't let any crap go out the door.

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. I mainly want a good shooter...don't particularly care too much about the collector status on this first one.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The field grades will be more of a crap shoot as far as getting a shooter-quality rifle goes. According to the CMP description of the grade, the muzzle may measure more than 3, meaning the rifle would be more likely to have degraded accuracy. That's not a hard and fast rule, but in general you can expect a field grade M1 not to shoot as well as a Service Grade. Also, the stock set will likely have more gouges and cracks, and be of mixed species and origins of wood if not a CMP stock set. A good friend of mine ordered six FG's a few months ago, and all but one were about middle of the range for the grade. The last one was close to a Rack Grade. He was satisfied, but not thrilled, with what he got, having kept in mind the grade description.

Personally, I'd try and find a Service Grade, even if I had to pay more, if it was going to be my only M1 Garand.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought Correct, Service, and Field grade rifles from CMP. I'd go with Perplexed...if you want to be reasonably guaranteed to get a shooter, then get a Service grade.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on what Perplexed and SMS have recommended...I have seen very few nice examples coming out of the field grade orders recently. Most have been on the low end of the grading scale IMO.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct, not a lot for sale. SG rifles aren't available right now and who knows when they will be again. I just got an email this morning stating my SG order from the last day they were for sale was in the system and it could be another 6 months before they ship. I would either order a CMP Special or find one for sale on the private market. There are rumors that the prices may be going up soon too. I've sold a few nice rifles lately and they go pretty fast if the price is reasonable. Good luck!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, at present that's all they have. If I was looking for my one M1 Garand, I'd keep an eye on the CMP classifieds for a Service Grade at a decent price. They crop up regularly.

Or, I'd make a trip to the South Store and hand-pick a Field Grade.

Latest posts

Top Bottom