Field Grade Garands...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you just want the experience of visiting the SS. It's not going to be the eye-opener it was in years past with full racks of rifles, but it could still be interesting for a first-timer. Then there's the new range.

I recall fondly visiting the SS about five or six years ago, and seeing not one, or two, but three full racks of mixmaster Winchester Garands. I had just bought one via an agent when the WRA's were first released, so I got one with an original barrel and very good MW/TE numbers. I turned up my nose at the mixmasters on the racks, and have been kicking myself since. I wish I had looked for a LEAD rebuild!

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only way I'd make the trip to a store is if I could work it into a vacation or business trip. The SS would be a doable detour to/from Destin...which we like to visit.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not been to the new location, but have heard it is tiny. I would like to see the range, but the store is apparently not worth a drive to far away at all. Even if you are in Destin, I'd call the day before if possible to see if they have anything.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are killin my plans for a road trip. I've still got family about fifty miles from there and the next time I went, I was going to go there too.

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember a 10 day temporary duty at Ft Knox in 1973 myself and 5 from my platoon were sent to bunkers where we took M1's from bunker brand-new still in grease to back lot by the truck load and used chop saws an cut them in three pieces then they hauled them off God knows were. Makes me want to cry now these were brand-new. Said could not find anyone to take them. We were sending M1 carbines out by trucks all over world seen several M2 go-to several states to staff friends typical military. Still sickening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom